"Crowing" and "Stridor"

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Alright, quick question.

I was doing some studying for EMT class, and I am a bit confused by something. Is "crowing" and "stridor" the same thing? This is from the Brady book, and I've only seen the word "crowing" in 1 or 2 places. It's not even in the index. I've looked online as well, but I can't get a definite answer, so I'm asking here.

Thanks for the help!

Eric

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Stridor is an abnormal, high-pitched, musical breathing sound caused by a blockage in the throat or voice box (larynx). It is usually heard when taking in a breath.

Crowing is sometimes used synonymously with stridor

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Alright, quick question.

I was doing some studying for EMT class, and I am a bit confused by something. Is "crowing" and "stridor" the same thing? This is from the Brady book, and I've only seen the word "crowing" in 1 or 2 places. It's not even in the index. I've looked online as well, but I can't get a definite answer, so I'm asking here.

Thanks for the help!

Eric

Yes. When a pt has stridor, like with laryngeobronchitis (croup) or epiglotitis (usually children but not exclusively), they will sound like a crow cawing. Hence the term "crowing".

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
They are imprecise yet evocative.

The crowing is almost always inadvertent or poorly controlled vibration of vocal cords or other neck structures, usually epiglotis, due to tough secretions, pseudomembrane, or inflamation. Not Good. (Can also be lodged foreign object, or pt simulated inhalatory "wheeze").

Prolonged frequent hacking deep coughs can cause laryngeal swelling due to repeated irritation and the forcing of blood into the upper body due to forceful Valsalvas of deep hard coughs. This can not only cause or exacerbate "crowing", but "whooping"....

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Okay, thanks everybody.