Critique this RSI protocol.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Anyone want to chime in on the dosage of the versed? I know 2mg is an extremely small amount for the awake patient, but I also know that opioids (fent) help to potentiate the effects of the midazolam. How much does the drug-drug interaction affect the potency? Also, what is the point of the administration of versed if you're going to give Ketamine shortly after?

I personally don't see any reason to give fentanyl + versed + ketamine.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
<shrug> I give it because the nice doctor who says I can be a paramedic tells me I need to :)

In all seriousness, if there's anything I don't like about our protocol it's the wasting of time on the premedication phase. I see no reason to waste time there and would prefer to shoot straight to my rocketamine. He does allow for this in a crash airway scenario, as long as we can articulate why.

If I had to guess, he just wants us to snow them as much as possible.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
Our procedures is fentanyl over one minute given two minutes before inducing anaesthesia. Preoxygenation for 2-3 minutes with a reservoir mask if possible, if the patient is a bit agitated and fighty I'll give 2-3 mg of midazolam to settle then down to tolerate this, or could give them a sub anaesthetic dose of ketamine for the same purpose, say 1 mg/kg.

Really wish we had mechanical ventilation especially for longer transports. No way this will happen in the foreseeable future due to the cost. HEMS and the HEMS car have a little Oxylog that's pretty cool.