CPR with Knee Pads

Scout

Para-Noid
I was asked for a translation not an ideal....

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
My 5.11 pants have them built in. They help a lot

I have these and they are amazing. They have pockets on the inside that hold knee pads that come with them. I am thinking of adding a second layer. I learned from day one...CPR class that $50 for pants with knee pads would be well worth it.

rmellish

Forum Captain
My 5.11 pants have them built in. They help a lot

I have the same pants. Knee pads make them ridiculously uncomfortable to wear around. First thing I do is pull them out. I also make it a point to not spend too much time on my knees though.

Great idea in theory, neoprene makes it uncomfortable in practice.

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
I have the same pants. Knee pads make them ridiculously uncomfortable to wear around. First thing I do is pull them out. I also make it a point to not spend too much time on my knees though.

Great idea in theory, neoprene makes it uncomfortable in practice.

Maybe we have different pants but I don't even know the pads are there, they save me all the time. Most people don't know they are there either, until I tell them. Then they go out and get them.

rmellish

Forum Captain
Maybe we have different pants but I don't even know the pads are there, they save me all the time. Most people don't know they are there either, until I tell them. Then they go out and get them.

idk, I have the 5.11 men's ems pant. Maybe I'm just particular.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Hm. Carpet scrap.

I'm known for my cruddy bedside presentation

phildo

Forum Crew Member
I bought some olive drab colored knee pad from the lawn & garden dept. at walmart a few years ago. My knees swell if I abuse them too much. So when I went to skills test to get my NR back, I wore them. I oughta keep them in my gear bag, but alas they reside on the top shelf in my closet. Lotta good they do there. Kinda like my ballistic vest in the bottom of my locker, with my bedding on top of it. If I didn't have strong young firepersons to do compressions and c-spine control and the like, I'd probably keep them near.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
What the heck did you just say? :blink:
Exactly what I thought.......

haha i understood. hoik= lift up punter= patient:p
That is because you are one of those people from that strange area of the world where supposedly the English laguage comes from, yet for some strange, unknown reason nobody speaks it. (Read that place as: The British Isles)

This is just too funny..........:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Stirley

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys I'm a emt class and I wear ****ies. We have Yet to start doing any cpr and all that. Do you think 511's are worth buying for the class?

Last edited by a moderator:

DCE27

Forum Ride Along
I absolutely LOVE my 5.11 pants...except for the neoprene knee pads. Don't get me wrong, they do their job quite well but they are so hot they make me want to crawl out of my skin, or at least my pants.

That said they are the best pair of pants I've had the privilege of wearing.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I absolutely LOVE my 5.11 pants...except for the neoprene knee pads. Don't get me wrong, they do their job quite well but they are so hot they make me want to crawl out of my skin, or at least my pants.

That said they are the best pair of pants I've had the privilege of wearing.

I keep hearing people complain that htey are hot, but working in the NM summer I never noticed them to be honest.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
Bump this for good measure

Had a call the other day, and I decided enough is enough. My knees are too valuable to sit there kneeling for long periods of time on hard surface.

Any suggestions on a good set? Something I could slip on underneath the pants. I am going to check out the 5.11's as well but I don't think they are that thick are they?

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I use firefighters or the LUCAS 2. I carried knee pads in school, but found that since the medic driving would be the one unlucky enough to do compressions, there's no way I'm getting them on on the way and I'm not wearing them all day. Plus with switching person doing compressions every two minutes, it's just not a long enough period of time to worry about it.

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
If you keep a flat SAM Splint (i.e. not the rolled up type) in your jumpkit you can just lay that next to the patient and use that as a knee board...then again, a towel you keep on the cot would also work.

Also you can just kneel on the medic intern :p

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
What the heck did you just say? :blink:

LOL. Brings back memories. I used to visit Catford for extended periods and half the time I thought I was in a non-English speaking country when out in the pubs. :D

Yet to start doing any cpr and all that. Do you think 511's are worth buying for the class?

I wear ****ies and I don't really have a problem with my knees during CPR, despite my age. Most of the CPR or C-Spine stabilization I've done has been on carpet (residences) or on tile (rest homes), with the odd MVA. 5.11s are expensive. I would suggest waiting till you see where you're working to spend that money.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I think if I ever have to be on the ground doing CPR that long i'll just suck it up and not worry about it. Doesn't happen often enough that I would wear something uncomfortable just for that situation.

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
I use 5-11 pants, they have the kneepads sewn in, they're fantastic, takes a lot of stress off the knees without even having to think about it.