CPR on stretcher

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If God hadn't intended CPR to be done on the floor,

He/She'd make victims float, not fall.
As for litters/stretchers, would you pound nails on a trampoline?

medic_chick87

Forum Crew Member
my company uses this lovely piece of crap, so its never an issue

big_autopulse.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rP0CzKXxTw

i hate this thing, and unfortunately its company policy to use it.

Ran a code yesterday where the fire crew running with us used this thing. I personally think that they are awesome! It took one less person out of the way for me to trip over, and it never tired out.

As far as "To use a board or not to use a board, that is the question" last two codes I've been on one we used a board, one we didnt and both had pulses back by the time we reached the hospital so I personally dont think it matters too awful much.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
Omg

Okay I totally need to see if your service will get this. Looks like a great idea. As for CPR with or without board..I prefer a board because it gives more stability and is easier to move patients from bed to bed or if they do start to aspirate you can roll them.

MDKEMT

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
Okay I totally need to see if your service will get this. Looks like a great idea. As for CPR with or without board..I prefer a board because it gives more stability and is easier to move patients from bed to bed or if they do start to aspirate you can roll them.

MDKEMT

the things cost like 10 grand each i think. something stupid expensive. personally, I do not like them at all. they look great on paper and in the demo videos, but in the real world, I think they suck. depending on the size of the pt, its sometimes hard to get them positioned right, wires and tubing like to magically get tangled in the system, you pretty much need to get a line and tube before you start using the thing, you've pretty much got to immobilize the pt because this thing zip-ties to a backboard, so if you're in the classic "upstairs on the 5th floor and the stairwells are 2 feet wide and the elevator is broken at 4 in the morning" predicament and you cant get the pt down the stairs, through the door, around the corner, or whatever the thing is useless because they have to be on a backboard. not to mention its heavy as hell and a real pain to carry around.

Like I said, just my opinion on the thing, and on paper and in demos it looks great (I was sold on it after watching the training video) but once you get out in the real world, it just isn't practical. My partner feels the same way about it, so everytime we work a code, we just say "oh there was possible trauma" so we don't get written up for not using it and just do CPR the conventional way. Since we've had it, I think we are 1 for 3 on code saves and at least double that without using it. I know thats not saying anything really, but we can do without it just fine and things seem to run a lot smoother.

reaper

Working Bum
They are great if used correctly. I can't see how the 5th floor matters to the autopulse. You would have the pt on a LSB anyways?

Why would you have to do IV's and ETI before hand? Never had a problem with it.

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
They are great if used correctly. I can't see how the 5th floor matters to the autopulse. You would have the pt on a LSB anyways?

Why would you have to do IV's and ETI before hand? Never had a problem with it.

I'm saying if you're in a tight spot where it would be really hard to maneuver a pt on a LSB around corners and down stairs. in my area, we have a lot of really old buildings and houses with extremely narrow staircases that make really tight turns. We use a stairchair a LOT and even then sometimes its hard to maneuver. and if you do it right (manual CPR then stop to do the line and tube) you're ok. if Fire is on scene first or something using it, then its kinda hard to get a line and tube sometimes in the "pause" time the device allows. Also, this thing makes the pt's arms flop around a lot, seems like doing manual CPR if a medic had to get a line when you were doing compressions, it could be easier. I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, just saying from my experiences with it thus far, it seems very cumbersome and more trouble than its worth. I'm just not a fan of it. if you are educated and do CPR correctly you shouldnt really need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Mike,

I am not picking a fight. I understand tight areas. For that, just wait till you get them in the truck, before putting on the Autopulse.

I have never had a problem intubating or getting an IV, while it is compressing. It is harder, but can be done.

I agree that manual CPR is good, but people do get tired after 30-45 seconds. It is shown that compressions fall off in effectiveness, after a short time. The machine does not wear out and gives constant compressions. That is the most important thing that can be done.

It does take time to get used to using it and working around it, but I think it is a great device. Rural areas can really benefit from it. If you are five minutes from the ED, it is not worth the time to put them on it.

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
Mike,

I am not picking a fight. I understand tight areas. For that, just wait till you get them in the truck, before putting on the Autopulse.

I have never had a problem intubating or getting an IV, while it is compressing. It is harder, but can be done.

I agree that manual CPR is good, but people do get tired after 30-45 seconds. It is shown that compressions fall off in effectiveness, after a short time. The machine does not wear out and gives constant compressions. That is the most important thing that can be done.

It does take time to get used to using it and working around it, but I think it is a great device. Rural areas can really benefit from it. If you are five minutes from the ED, it is not worth the time to put them on it.

its our companies protocol to get it going before we move the pt. and as I think I said, where I'm at, theres so many hospitals that you can be to one less that 5-10 min from just about anywhere, so like I said, for our particular situation I just think its more of a hassle than its worth.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
This can be a great boon to rural areas...
Even running code three its at least 30 minutes to the ER, normal time is closer to 45 minutes.

Having one in the rig would be great.
Then again, standard practice at my vollie service is to get a FF to drive, a FF to compress, EMT does airway, and medic does the lifepak 11 and the drugs.

reaper

Working Bum
Mike,

If you have Ed's that close, then yes I think it is a waste of time and money on your dept's behalf!!

ride2k

Forum Crew Member
CPR board otherwise you can do damage to a trauma patient, or you have to work twice as hard. there is another post on this somewhere.

I would hope if it were a trauma patient, they would already be immobilized on a long backboard.

But most people say not to do CPR on a bed especially in a nursing home, or a stretched without something hard underneath. At least log roll them on a backboard is my inital thought.