Couple questions

ricefan1

Forum Ride Along
I was looking at NYFD's website and I noticed it said that their paramedics can move all the way up to being a lieutenant in the EMS service, I was wondering is that pretty much a New York only thing or are their others? I am not an EMT-B or P, but I am going to start classes this spring for EMT-B. I am just trying to look ahead for the future in terms of what options there are out there. I am also looking into San Diego and I know that they have Rural/Metro, but once again I don't know how high up you can go in terms of career progression once you get to paramedic, if that is it that is fine. Thank you for your responses.
Chris

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife! You're really asking a loaded question.

In systems with traditional fire/command ranks, I'm sure it's quite possible to achieve higher rankings/titles. I'm sure experience, training, performance all play into the formula, and one's pay increases with a higher rank.

In private EMS, you'll often see titles such as "Senior Medic" and others. In most private systems, one is paid according to training level and work experience. The more years in the service, the higher the pay.

Pay is really all relative to where you live. I could make $35,000 in the small time I just left and live a comfortable life. I'm not sure that's the case in New York. You'll find that generally bigger/more competitive services pay more than the smaller ones. Public municipalities generally pay more and have better benefits than the privates, though many public folks work in private EMS to help supplement their pay.

If you want a career in EMS, I'd suggest working towards being a Critical Care EMT-Paramedic or a Flight Paramedic. If you really want higher pay and training, get your RN and you may be able to work as an EMT-Paramedic/RN.

We all have to start as an EMT-Basic though, and EMT-Basics are the foundation of your EMS career/knowledge. Start with a strong foundation, a good work ethic, and a thirst for knowledge, and I'm sure you'll rise through the ranks in no time.

I hope that helps!