Cough Syrup induced Asthma Attack

Burritomedic1127

Forum Captain
Recently got called for the shortness of breath in the middle of the night. On arrival we found a middle aged women sitting outside on a bench of her apartment building, tripoding. She states she was awoken by the difficulty breathing, has a hx of asthma, and has used her inhaler with no improvements. So far cut and dry asthma exacerbation. No chest pain, sinus in the 90s with occasionally PACs, 87% RA with inspiratory/expiratory wheezes, tachypnic, hypercapnic 62 with sharkfin wave form, with a normal ish BP 130s/high80s. 12 lead was better than mine, no pedal edema or chance of CHF. Albuterol, Mag Sulfate, and Solu-Cortef were given with improvements in saturation and respiratory effort.

Short transport, as we're backing into the hospital bay, she start doing what i call the "hypoxic spins" where shes pulling all wires, tubing, etc and her respiratory rate drops dramatically. Now we're bagging her and the doctors are getting ready to tube her. Intubated with paralytics and has 2 runs of rapid a fib (no history) both fixed with separate doses of Diltiazem, with an end tidal of 70 even on the longest expiratory setting allowed on the vent. Had to leave for another call

Just got follow up, the patient had some nasal congestion and took some cough syrup before bed, which she states makes her asthma worse. Pt walked out of the hospital 2 days later. Anyone every hear of this? Did some research and couldnt find anything on cough syrup inducing an asthma attack. Assuming its not along of the lines of an allergic reaction because it didnt present that way

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Odd... Maybe asa was in the cough syrup. But just trippy.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Eh...I wouldn't be surprised if the cough syrup wasn't to blame for the asthma attack. Just because she took some and later suffered a severe asthma attack doesn't mean one "caused" the other.

She has a history of asthma and perhaps just experienced an acute and severe exacerbation, perhaps complicated by her existing nasal congestion. This isn't to say that one of the many ingredients in your average cough syrup couldn't have an effect on pre-existing disease pathologies, but I'd look at the most common causes first. It's spring time, pollen is in the air, and people everywhere are having respiratory issues.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Recently got called for the shortness of breath in the middle of the night. On arrival we found a middle aged women sitting outside on a bench of her apartment building, tripoding. She states she was awoken by the difficulty breathing, has a hx of asthma, and has used her inhaler with no improvements. So far cut and dry asthma exacerbation. No chest pain, sinus in the 90s with occasionally PACs, 87% RA with inspiratory/expiratory wheezes, tachypnic, hypercapnic 62 with sharkfin wave form, with a normal ish BP 130s/high80s. 12 lead was better than mine, no pedal edema or chance of CHF. Albuterol, Mag Sulfate, and Solu-Cortef were given with improvements in saturation and respiratory effort.

Short transport, as we're backing into the hospital bay, she start doing what i call the "hypoxic spins" where shes pulling all wires, tubing, etc and her respiratory rate drops dramatically. Now we're bagging her and the doctors are getting ready to tube her. Intubated with paralytics and has 2 runs of rapid a fib (no history) both fixed with separate doses of Diltiazem, with an end tidal of 70 even on the longest expiratory setting allowed on the vent. Had to leave for another call

Just got follow up, the patient had some nasal congestion and took some cough syrup before bed, which she states makes her asthma worse. Pt walked out of the hospital 2 days later. Anyone every hear of this? Did some research and couldnt find anything on cough syrup inducing an asthma attack. Assuming its not along of the lines of an allergic reaction because it didnt present that way

Interesting that she took cough syrup even though she knows it makes her asthma worse......

I agree with Chaz, seems most likely just a coincidence that she had a severe asthma attack after taking the cough syrup. But who knows?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Yeah.....I decided to come out of the closet finally!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Good work!!

Buy yourself a congratulatory bourbon for me.

After you make your student loan payment, that is.
If he buys good enough bourbon he won't care about his student loan payment!

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If he buys good enough bourbon he won't care about his student loan payment!

But after I make my student loan payment I can't afford good bourbon.

The solution is simple, though. Buy the booze BEFORE you make the payment!

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I had a cardiac arrest from someone who chugged multiple bottles of robotussin to get high and passed out on their back...and threw up.