Cool-headed ambulance man drives alleged hijacker into trap

Hockey

Quackers
Don't most services have a "code word" that lets dispatch know they are in trouble?

PS. Do not post code words on forum

I'm going to since it is common knowledge

X-Alpha###

XRay Alpha###

Dispatch comes back with the nice response with "Alpha### are you okay on scene?"

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Here we have panic buttons on the radios. If one is pressed,(even by accident), the dispatcher will call your unit and ask you to check ?????. If no reply they will send PD to your location as indicated by the onboard GPS and /or your last known location. Unless you can give a discreet reply about your problem it is best to say nothing.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I have to agree with Mr. Brown. Not having two fully qualified medics on an ambulance in a modern country is archaic. The cost is not that much to operate a quality service. New Zealand is about 4.5 times the size of Nova Scotia with about 4x the population and similar pop density. We run a full service ground ambulance and a helicopter and dispatch center for under $100 million/yr. (2007-2008). Or about $100. per person. That's not a lot of money per capita. It comes down to how loud you cry out for a modern service. How much would income tax or a point of sale tax have to increase to cover that for the whole country? Would you be willing to pay it?

I don't believe there is a place in modern health care for 5 - 21 day trained first aiders. If the volunteers want to help they can join the Red Cross or similar. If they really believe in EMS they won't mind taking the education to be a part of it.

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
I have to agree with Mr. Brown. Not having two fully qualified medics on an ambulance in a modern country is archaic. The cost is not that much to operate a quality service. New Zealand is about 4.5 times the size of Nova Scotia with about 4x the population and similar pop density. We run a full service ground ambulance and a helicopter and dispatch center for under $100 million/yr. (2007-2008). Or about $100. per person. That's not a lot of money per capita. It comes down to how loud you cry out for a modern service. How much would income tax or a point of sale tax have to increase to cover that for the whole country? Would you be willing to pay it?

I don't believe there is a place in modern health care for 5 - 21 day trained first aiders. If the volunteers want to help they can join the Red Cross or similar. If they really believe in EMS they won't mind taking the education to be a part of it.

Outbac1 I was not saying that that would not be the ideal, to have 2 qualified ambo's on every ambulance in NZ. That would solve a lot of problems!.

The point I was trying to make is that the ambulance service is only sending out one officer on their own, in most of the rural paid stations throughout our Country.
They have to treat, load and monitor, as they drive their patients to hospital on their own.
Would it not be better to have someone trained to drive the ambulance, so that that officer can do what they were trained to do...treat the patient?
That driver being someone trained to be behind the wheel of an ambulance...not the local FF or police that has offered to drive cause there is no-one else available to and a back up driver is half an hour away.
Anyone can be trained in 30 minutes the correct way to push on a chest and use a bag mask...you'd have to be pretty thick not to pick that up (If you need an extra pair of hands in a hurry).
Or would you all rather carry on working on your own...until such time as there is the money available????
We do have a chopper service for urgent calls, but because of the weather sometimes, they can not make it to our side of the ranges.
Meaning an hour plus drive in many cases, longer with the amount of stops to do your VS checks, etc.

With current events (the earthquakes) in NZ, most other funds have been put on the back burner. I can't see any extra $$$ being put into the ambulance services for many years to come.
The driver idea would be a quick fix...guess from the sounds of it...the paid staff don't want the extra pair of hands though...the people I feel sorry for is the patients...they are the ones that suffer in the long run...also still not to forget the danger of sending one officer out on their own!
Guess the police force in our country areas have the same problems, most of their patrol cars are one person crewed!
Ho-hum...............