Confused and in angst over medic program!

FutureFlightMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hi, all...I thought I'd share what is stressing me and maybe you could offer help! I have applied to my school's Paramedic Program, and have been told by many people that I have a good shot at it. (I work in a busy ED as a tech, and volunteer at my FD). Anyway, this year they are conducting oral interviews, as well as looking at GPA and points for the program. Last night I got THE CALL from the program instructor that he wants to schedule an interview for me!!! YAY!!! Then, he said I am "30" out of 42 applicants, and he can only accept 26 students. Just as I thought about silently crying, he said this placement however, does not take into account the points for my math class that I will be submitting over the next few days, and also the points I will earn in my interview. I asked him straight up (politley) if he thought I had a chance (couldn't help myself-had to know!) He, said "yes, you have a chance, but without above said points, you would be on the CUT line. AHHHH!! Now, I'm really freaked out. I have been working really hard, am an A & B student for all pre-reqs, with one unfortunate C. Hopefully I really do have a chance. I know I want this for the right reasons, and have helped in many "saves" in the ER. Does anyone have any encourgement for me??? My interview is next thurs and won't know acceptance status until sept 5!! This is everything I have been wanting. Help!!

OP
OP
F

FutureFlightMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Wow-I can't believe I forgot the "being cool under pressure" thing! Maybe your advice will help me ace this interview! Thanks, and your'e right..I have to learn to be cool under pressure if I want to learn to be a medic!!B) THANX, GUARDIAN!!

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Don't sell yourself short during your interview, either. The best thing to do is blatantly and shamelessly sell yourself, but in the most humble and subtle manner possible. As for that "unfortunate C," don't forget, that means you're "average." We've all had them, and while it may stand out when compared to the As and Bs you're getting, those As and Bs are still pretty darn impressive.

Just remember: go big or go home. (And I don't want to call your house and find you there, ok?)

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
Hell, I would have been happy with an "unfortunate C" in HS. I slacked WAY too much. But as Tcert said, make yourself look like someone they want. Highlight your strong points, make them believe you're what they want in their class. Be friendly and smile; treat it like a job interview; don't sit until they do, show respect... all that stuff. It works wonders. =)

Good luck!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Wow... thats a bit of pressure.

Something else to keep in mind though... around here, there is a nursing program that enrolls 60 a year... they often run through their LONG wait list all the way to fill their seats... and they sometimes can't fill all their seats.

If you are high on the wait list... don't give up hope... you have a good chance of getting in... and remember... there is always next year.

GOOD LUCK!

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
good luck and relax. I've sat for the last 3 years doing the interviews for the medic program that I teach with. Definetly treat it as a job interview, dress well, be on time and make eye contact. Be confident but not cocky and sell your strong points. If you know your bad in math, mention that you will get a private tutor to help out (and then do so). We liked it when the student knew their weaknesses and were willing to try and fix them. Sometimes we would ask a random odd question to see how well they could think on their feet. Don't get freaked out in the middle if it isn't going as well as you hoped. Everyone always thinks they bombed their interview. If you make it in, (and I'm sure you will) cut down on the vollying. School is more important and you will soon be vollying and working as a medic if you take the time now to learn the material. Good luck and let us know how you did