Companion degree for international volly work

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
So when I finish my medic (if I finish it) I plan on doing some international vollunteer work. I'm thinking I might also go back to school for an associates in something that would complement my medic and make me more attractive for some of the more interesting volly organizations. Any suggestions? Looks like some of the environmental sciences might be good. I was also thinking about dental hygienist.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If an AAS is your goal I would say the most practical and fast one to earn as a medic is one in EMS or para medicine. All you would need is often 2 semesters after your medic. Blows my mind more people don't do it since you have done most of it already

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

If an AAS is your goal I would say the most practical and fast one to earn as a medic is one in EMS or para medicine. All you would need is often 2 semesters after your medic. Blows my mind more people don't do it since you have done most of it already

Since I'll already have my medic albeit from a cert course not a degree course I thought I'd get it in something else. I'm not concerned about having the degree so much as having a degree in something that I can use in the international volly community. Now if I was planning on ever doing EMS for a career then I would absolutely follow your advice.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Looks like dietician is also a good one. I can't find any 2 year programs in my area though and I don't think I could handle a 4 year program without loosing what's left of my mind.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If international volly work is your thing, think of medic as a bonus, not as what you are selling.

Water purification, sewage set up, public health kind of stuff is a more in-demand ticket than US EMS.

Look at the IRC website for positions always being sought. (aside from doctor)

Why volunteer when you could get paid?

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Why volunteer when you could get paid?

More flexibility, shorter commitments. I can't afford to give up my current day job. Too much money and bennies involved for so little actual work. If I were 10 years younger maybe but I can't give up the seniority at this point. There's just no other job I could step into that would be even close. If they offer a leave of absence again at some point it might be an option for a year though. The golden handcuffs I believe it's called. Plus I love my current job.