Community College / Bay Area CA - Skyline EMT-B

djh650

Forum Ride Along
Hello!

My name is Danny, 26 years old, living in the bay area. Looking to start a career in the EMT/paramedic field.

I have signed up for EMT-B at Skyline College in San Bruno for the Fall semester. Taking a human biology class during the summer, with hopes in taking an anatomy class next semester as well.

Just looking to see if anyone else has completed this program at this CC.

A total of 96 lecture hours and 96 lab hours, plus 20 hours by arrangement which will include a minimum of 8 hours in a local Emergency Department and 12 hours riding with a local ambulance company.

Does this mean I have to setup ER/ambulance appointments myself?

thanks

Nathan

Forum Crew Member
Your school will set it up. I don't know if the word contract is the right word, but they "contract" with the area hospitals and amber lamps companies to let you guys hang out.

When you ride along, bring doughnuts. Everyone in EMS likes to say "we like to eat healthy", but I have never seen a profession outside of the Army who chews, drinks, and eats fatty foods more than we do. So, bring doughnuts. And a lunch.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
When you ride along, bring doughnuts. Everyone in EMS likes to say "we like to eat healthy", but I have never seen a profession outside of the Army who chews, drinks, and eats fatty foods more than we do. So, bring doughnuts. And a lunch.

I aways think this is funny. When I was hired they stressed "DO NOT BUY YOUR FTO DONUTS OR BREAKFAST!" They said it can be considered hazing and the company can get in trouble.

I said, okay. I wont buy them breakfast. I'll buy them lunch. :cool:

Obviously that doesnt apply to ride alongs. But I bought them lunch too.

Nathan

Forum Crew Member
I personally wouldn't let a trainee or a student buy me lunch. If anything I would buy them lunch.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I personally wouldn't let a trainee or a student buy me lunch. If anything I would buy them lunch.

I tried to buy my CCT-RN lunch once. He said no. Then he said since I offered it was on him.

dC0m

Forum Crew Member
Buy them coffee. Just a simple act of gesture can go a long way for your ride-along.

I learned first hand during my ride-along (not in the Bay Area, but I'm from there..). One of my EMTs was super friendly and walked me through the whole rig at the start of shift. The other EMT came in without even acknowledging me for a good hour until I bought the guy coffee. Boy, did that change his mood for the day! The grumpy EMT was a medic student so he gave me a lot of insight on what to expect in the BLS field and how to prepare for medic school.