Community Awareness

skyemt

Forum Captain
I was wondering what the different agencies did about furthering community awareness, about different illnesses, and about the Ambulance service as well...

sponsored events? flyers?

would love to hear some ideas...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We do blood pressure checks at the local festivals, First Aid and CPR classes at the local school. But as far as actual education of specific health risks, there's not much done here.

Canoeman

Forum Crew Member
Sky,

This is an important subject for any agency really but your own imagination for community service or events is what should drive you. As a manager I make my crew "on duty' do a BP clinic somewhere in our distrct each and every day M-F, and on special events on Saturday and Sunday as well.

With the blessing of our medical Director we also re-visit patients. I call them Post Call Evaluations. The crew that picked up "Ms Jones" two weeks ago calls the patient back (provided she is back) and requests they call upon her to visit to she how she is doing" This has turned out to be our most popular program. It is a great educational tool as well. Student EMT's may get to do an exam or one of your own crew people who need some hands on. Real B/P's Real Breath sounds.

Home Safety Checks - This could obviously be smoke detectors etc. but from an EMS prospective we look and the potential for injury from falls in the home. We started this program after we noted so many falls with our elderly population. We visit places where the elderly meet and take a road show PPT and go to the Lions Club, Rotary, Elks, Eagles etc. organizations. They love the attention and you can actually make a difference.

Just a few. Think out of the box. You drive around in a bill board for all to see. Don't hide it in the station all the time.

Canoeman

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
We have regularly scheduled PR events where off duty crews come in and participate. We'll do on average of 10 per month to various age and demographic groups.

We do follow up on some of our higher acuity patients and all of our cath alert patients and arrest survivors. We really do not have the time to follow up on everyone and many we just have no interest in following up with!

The on duty crews do not do PR. When we are not on a call, we are at the station or out getting a quick bite. When I am at the station, I sleep when I can. Down time is a commodity that is sacred!

For us, advertising is not needed. Everyone around here knows how to call us. We were even nice enough to shorten our telephone number down to 3 numbers to avoid confusion! As long as there is humans roaming the face of the earth, I will always have job security........................

emtangie850

Forum Crew Member
We also do BP checks at our local festival. During EMS week a cuple years ago we arranged for our local air-medical team to join us. It was a big attraction. They brought the bird down and did a tour.

Inside of our FD we put up informational boards on AED/CPR, Backboarding and such. The children had a great time. We did a few rapid take downs and secured a few children to boards. They thought it was great!

Our County has established a program that will check up on those who are 65 +. They do a follow up and depending on questions that we record on our paperwork. Iit allows the county to see if there are any potential hazards in their home (that we see). If there are they offer help and alternative options for the patient.

Although this is effective it is only educating part of our population...

-Angie