Clinicals starting

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
I had my clinical signups last night and my first clinical is at an ER this Sunday.

I have 7 clinicals starting this weekend...one every week until April 16th.
I have chosen 2 hospital ERs, 2 Ambulance companys and 1 Fire Station.

I am sooo nervous I could almost PUKE!

If anyone has any advice or suggestions...please tell me...

*Quivering at the knees*

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Just relax! If you have questions, ask them when appropriate. During down time, ask if people would mind practicing skills with you, or going over what their procedures are so you know during a call. Usually at the hospitals (around here at least) EMT students don't get to do much, except for observing a lot of things. I lucked out with a really great doc one time who let me do all sorts of stuff.

Just relax and you'll be fine!

OP
OP
E

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
thanks cpt.

I am so excited that I am finally doing this...but I guess it's the "unknown" territory that I am going into. Once I am there and actually getting my hands dirty, then I will be fine. But all these things keep going into my mind.
Yeah, I am good at everything on paper and in lab, but when actually DOING the task...that's what makes me nervous because I don't want to screw up, ya know?

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
When I took my basic class they told me I had to sign up for clinicals at a hospital about an hr and a half away because the hospital here never get's much (which was BS). Did my clinicals at the hospital they wanted me to and it was pretty uneventful, however I did get to help deliver a baby which was awesome. I came home the next day to findout we had had a busy night at the hospital here (mva's,pnb's). I was sooo pissed, but i guess helping deliver the baby was worth it. Don't be afraid to ask whatever questions you have, most people are more then willing to answer them. Good luck.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by EMTstudent@Feb 25 2005, 03:44 PM
actually DOING the task...that's what makes me nervous because I don't want to screw up, ya know?
If you're riding with a good crew, they will make sure you don't screw up. If you're unsure, use phrases such as "like this?" or "how am I doing"... that will help remind them that you're new to this and it will let them know that you want to do things correctly as well.

PS - While I'm not nervous too much anymore (although sometimes the adrenaline makes it feel that way), I know what you mean by not wanting to screw up, and that is something you will get used to as you progress, and you will also become more confident in your own skills with practice.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by emtchicky156@Feb 25 2005, 03:55 PM
however I did get to help deliver a baby which was awesome.
911 did that on wed here. I saw the results in clinical..... great natural high ;)

Jon

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, you got to sign up for your clinicals. Must be nice.

We got to walk up, reach in a hat and draw where we are doing our hopital clinicals. Then we got a paper telling us to do 3, 13 hour shifts, with the two different ambulance services around here (2 shifts with one, 1 with the other), then we got a schedule telling us what days we will be going to our clinical sites, with a couple additions thrown in.

Good thing is, we got these all far enough in advance to work our regular work schedules around them.

Good luck on yours. We start ours March 2.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I only hope that all of you who are students get to ride with a crew that is willing to explain and instruct and not look at you as a pain in their back sides. The more questions you ask, at appropriate times, and the more interest you show, the more receptive to you they may be...

rescuecpt

I actually really like ride alongs. It's kinda like my theory at work - get them while they're new, teach them MY way of doing things, and later down the line I'll be happy!

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Feb 26 2005, 09:15 AM
I actually really like ride alongs. It's kinda like my theory at work - get them while they're new, teach them MY way of doing things, and later down the line I'll be happy!
Did you apply that theory to your significant other as well??? :lol: I just cracked myself up!!! :D

rescuecpt

Originally posted by coloradoemt+Feb 26 2005, 11:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (coloradoemt @ Feb 26 2005, 11:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@Feb 26 2005, 09:15 AM
Did you apply that theory to your significant other as well??? :lol: I just cracked myself up!!! :D [/b][/quote]
No, unfortunately I didn't get to him soon enough.

OP
OP
E

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by rescuecpt+Feb 26 2005, 11:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ Feb 26 2005, 11:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by coloradoemt@Feb 26 2005, 11:09 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt
@Feb 26 2005, 09:15 AM
I actually really like ride alongs.  It's kinda like my theory at work - get them while they're new, teach them MY way of doing things, and later down the line I'll be happy!

Did you apply that theory to your significant other as well??? :lol: I just cracked myself up!!! :D
No, unfortunately I didn't get to him soon enough. [/b][/quote]
LMAO!!!!!