Clinical Time

Maxzl

Forum Probie
I'm doing 5 hours at a local hospital for the required time.
I was just wondering, what should I expect (or not expect). What will I be doing? Is there anything I have to bring?

Thanks

Max

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
5 hours?!

As an EMT-B student, you won't be doing much more than taking vitals and watching interactions between doctors and patients.

Watch the docs, see how they question their patients. Watch some of the things doctors do, such as suturing, as you probably will never see it in the field. Use it as a learning experience more for the things you can't do, than for the things you can do.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Mostly vitals and learning patient/provider interactions. However, it is important for you to set the tone of what you can do. If there is a code, go and ask if you can do compressions or bag them.

You are also there to learn, so try to watch procedures like Linuss said. Also ask questions; doctors, nurses, and techs will (or should) be happy to answer them.

OP
OP
M

Maxzl

Forum Probie
5 hours?!
I'm doing 5 at this ED, and than 5 riding along with my town. The class (maybe even state) requirement is a minimum of 10 hours hospital and/or riding time.

Mostly vitals and learning patient/provider interactions.
You are also there to learn, so try to watch procedures like Linuss said. Also ask questions; doctors, nurses, and techs will (or should) be happy to answer them.

Good to know.
Do you shadow a doctor or nurse or just go by yourself?

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
Watch learn, learn watch

When I did mine I worked a 12 hour shift, they were short handed that day so I got assinged to wheeling people to and from catscan.

They taugh me how to put on 3 leads (not even in my book for some reason??). When I was not runnng to and from catscan I got assigned to putting on 3 leads and hooking people up to the machines.

The charge nurse made me prove at the beggining of my shift I was competent at taking vitals by hand, then she allowed me to use the machines the rest of the day.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm doing 5 at this ED, and than 5 riding along with my town. The class (maybe even state) requirement is a minimum of 10 hours hospital and/or riding time.

Good to know.

normally you are working under an ER tech. However you may be set free once they know you are comfortable, or are comfortable with you.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I did ten hours in a ED. I shadowed an ER Tech (who was also an EMTb and her husband is a medic). If there was anything for me to do, they had me do it. From making beds to putting on 12 leads. I also helped during central lines, blood draws on peds and would have done CPR if we had a code. I listened to a LOT of lungs sounds and did a lot of vitals as well as putting tons of BP cuffs on. I also handed things to people a lot and put on oxygen. I never sat down. I chased my extremely fast er tech from one side of the department to the other. It was a blast. They move extremely fast in the ED so don't be surprised, you'll learn to dance out of the way. ;) Also my particular person I shadowed liked to quiz me. If you genuinely don't know an answer, tell them that. And don't pretend to know everything, that really annoys them and they'll look for ways to trip you up. I heard several stories about past students during the course of that night. Ask lots of questions, it benefited me. I asked a question and the answer ended up being on an exam two days later. And I got it right because I asked. Don't just sit around, ask if something needs to be done and use every minute you have learning. I only took two breaks during my rotation, long enough to eat something, wash my hands and get back in there.

EchoMikeTango

Forum Crew Member
I work in an ER, and you should bring a pen ( you wouldn't believe how many forget this ) your stethoscope, and an attitude to learn. You want to ask questions. I make them as me each ask me at least 10 questions related to emergency care( i usually do 5 - 6 students at a time) .

It not hard. You will be watching doctors nurses and techs, you will be taking vitals, and moving patients. Interacting with them. Have fun, and get ready for an awesome ride!

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
You should have received some sort of list of rules to follow as well as what is expected of you during your ER clinical rotation. If you did not receive this information I can give you some help. I have worked as an ER Tech in an inter city level one trauma center for five years the last two have been in the children's emergency department. I do still pull shifts on the adult side and in both positions one of my duties is to work with students during their clinical rotations.

The two most important things to remember are to show up early and be dressed in proper attire. The days of hospitals providing scrubs to students have for most facilities gone away. Check in with the charge RN and find out what is expected of you as well as who you will be following for the shift. You will want to have your stehoscope(around the neck is okay for students) and a pen and something to write on.

This is your time to get as much hands on experience as you can in the time allowed,I see your in for 5 hours,that's not really even near the amount of time you should get. Most EMT-B ER clinical ER rotations are 12-24 hours and that's not enough in my opinion. You may be able to stay for the entire shift which if offered you should jump on it.

Once you have received your tour of the department and and know your limits its time to play. Hint,some of your really sick patients may not come thru the ambulance bays so keep an eye open in triage. Depending on how busy of an ER you have you may spend all your time waiting on an ambulance and miss the really sick one that comes in by POV. If you get a trauma patient be the first in the room with warm blankets in hand. Watch and learn from the team as they do their assessments and put together a treatment plan. Follow the team to the scanner and assist with moving the patient,help with doing a log roll and,watch how they do a back assessment and remove the backboard. Remember to be mature and if you feel you need to leave the room at anytime please do,a sick student is of no use to anyone. What you may be allowed to do is up to the TRN and will differ from hospital to hospital. There wont be much hands on with trauma patients with the possible exception of performing compressions when CPR is in progress. Make sure your up to the task,you don't want to look like a total tool in front of the trauma team. I have seen students who could not do compressions and you don't want to be in that position. Try and get into watch procedures that you may not ever have the chance to see again if you are going to be a field provider.

If the ER has a separate peds section get over there and see what taking care of the little ones is like. This may be your one and only chance to lay hands on some sick kids so take advantage of it,you will be more comfortable working with kids in the field after you have seen the peds ER team work a trauma.

Your time will pass quickly and if you are like I was you wont want to leave so make the most of your time and remember to have fun and learn as much as you can. I have posted replies to other folks asking about student ER rotations,search and you may find a few other things to make your experience in the ER a good one.

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant

Good to know.

Try to do a little more. You'll probably be nervous. Our class requires at least an 8 hour shift... but there's several times the number of students slots, and we're encouraged to sign up for as many as we want after everyone covers the minimum.

Ridealongs, too? Do you really want to your only out of class experience prior to work to be 'a short shift in an ED and a short shift in the back of an ambulance'? What if you don't get many calls?