Cleveland EMS to picket city hall

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Reaction score
From: http://blog.cleveland.com/plaindealer/2007/04/ems_workers_to_picket.html

EMS workers to picket

Posted by [URL="http://blog.cleveland.com/plaindealer/about.html"]Donna J. Miller[/URL] April 07, 2007 21:59PM

Cleveland's rescue squad personnel plan to picket in front of City Hall Monday in response to a change in their work days from 12-hour shifts to eight-hour shifts.

Members of the Cleveland Association of Rescue Employees union voted unanimously Friday to announce that they have "no confidence" in EMS Commissioner Ed Eckart, who pushed for the change.

Union president Robert Laux said the switch will result in a 5 percent reduction in wages, an average of $2,500 a year per worker. The cut puts EMS workers' salaries $5,000 below those of the city's firefighters and police officers, he said, "when there should be parity."

Moderator's edit: Read the rest of the article here.

Last edited by a moderator:
how many other local unions are there? and why is it they can't stand up for this one?

~S~

Eckart said the switch begins at 7 a.m. Monday and will mean more ambulances on the streets and faster response times. Employees will work six days in a row and get a weekend off every five weeks.

"I understand the union's concerns. It's a lifestyle change and a pay cut," he said. "It's not an easy decision, but it will save the city a half-million dollars a year."

Go to a 6 day work week and take a pay cut?

I would picket... then strike... then quit.

Please read that article and notice that someone has commented that
The city could can them all and go with a private service like Rural Metro and save a whole lot of money. They don't deserve parity with the fire and police because their jobs are not as dangerous.

I encourage everyone here to go comment on that article.

Last edited by a moderator:
From: http://blog.cleveland.com/plaindealer/2007/04/ems_workers_to_picket.html

EMS workers to picket

Posted by [URL="http://blog.cleveland.com/plaindealer/about.html"]Donna J. Miller[/URL] April 07, 2007 21:59PM

Cleveland's rescue squad personnel plan to picket in front of City Hall Monday in response to a change in their work days from 12-hour shifts to eight-hour shifts.

Members of the Cleveland Association of Rescue Employees union voted unanimously Friday to announce that they have "no confidence" in EMS Commissioner Ed Eckart, who pushed for the change.

Union president Robert Laux said the switch will result in a 5 percent reduction in wages, an average of $2,500 a year per worker. The cut puts EMS workers' salaries $5,000 below those of the city's firefighters and police officers, he said, "when there should be parity."

Moderator's edit: Read the rest of the article here.

Can the city afford to put a pricetag on someone's life? Its not right that they are changing the shifts from 12's to 8's,it wont change a thing cuz its just gonna piss Cleveland EMTs and Medics off cuz they are losing pay due to the cut in shift hours.

Quote:
The city could can them all and go with a private service like Rural Metro and save a whole lot of money. They don't deserve parity with the fire and police because their jobs are not as dangerous.

I encourage everyone here to go comment on that article.

alright then, just what is the morbidity/mortality/injury/claim rate of FF's vs. ems? please include exposures (i've had two serious one's myself) , and leave out the hollywoodization, thanks

~S~

I read this the first time around and thought it was absurd. I'm not sure it solves any problem, but only angers the EMTs.

How is EMS like the PD or FD? I guess we all have lights and sirens. EMTs and Paramedics get paid less than their counterparts is Allied Health.

How is EMS like the PD or FD? I guess we all have lights and sirens. EMTs and Paramedics get paid less than their counterparts is Allied Health.

excellent point

Back