Clearing Windshield in Snowstorm

rbendett

Forum Ride Along
Any tips for clearing or covering windshield to be able to respond quickly to building from home for calls during snow or ice storms on car parked outdoors?

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
cardboard, a large push broom, and put some of that gasline deicer (the etoh type) in your windshield wiper fluid rbendett

oh and, if your a red light guy like i was , and maybe like to spit on the suction cup so it'd stick to the glass, use minimal force

that cost me a windshield...:(

~S~

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Yeah, I used the whole cardboard trick during the winters growing up after I turned 16 and got my first car. I also used a beach towel across the back window, tucking the corners into the back doors to keep it free from ice.

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
Use your floor mats on the windshield. Rubber side down.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Blanket, towel, carpet scraps (available for free from most carpet stores), tarp, body bag, etc...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Keep the truck running and the heat on.

Buy a remote-start.

Or, do what I do...just spend 5 minutes with a good snow-broom and scraper... wal-mart sells a decent one for about $5... it is a long, extendable one... and I use it to clear off my rig when needed... not just my POV.

eging1451

Forum Probie
Just brush and scrap it often. Start it every hour or so and let it run for a few minutes (if possible). I have this stuff I spray on the windows that prevents ice and snow from accumulating but I can't remember the name of it. I can get that if you want to know.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
Easiest thing to do is just stay on station while you are on duty.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
these work...

6717615.jpg

Rain-X_Premium_De-Icer_Windshield_Washer_Fluid-resized200.jpg

~S~

mrdell4150

Forum Crew Member
Staying at the station is a smart idea, however in places like my town, is hard because a. there is nothing to do in the building and b. if you are not on duty, you can repond to general calls anytime (second calls since we only have one duty crew). The towel sounds like a good idea, thankfully I have a garage.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
well i live on the outskirts of town, it takes a rig 10 minutes to get here, more in bad weather. Usually responders like me who are in such places are expexted to respond direct to the scene....

~S~

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
Ok,cuz that is what I had to do cuz I lived in a different town at the time,so I made sure that when I was on duty that I would bring something to do,but I ended up watching tv more than anything and when I got bored with that I went out to the ambulance and took a nap or did inventory.