change in career?

stick

Forum Ride Along
I don’t know what to do. Well, I have an idea of what I want to do. But it does not make any sense
I have always been interested in emergency medical services. While growing up in Connecticut I became an MRT(First Responder) Since then I have gone on to teach First Responder and CPR courses and be Licensed as an EMT Basic in three states. I love the job, and most everything about it. From the moments of intense action with life and death to the times of monotony and B.S. calls.
I currently volunteer once a month or show for a large metro area with one of the highest per capita murder rates. I work the overnight shift 7-7. Its great. I get so excited leading up to every shift. I even have a check list to make sure I don’t forget anything (It sucked forgetting my flashlight once on a night we had a power outage)
This large amount of focus of mine on EMS is a problem though. Because for instance as I write this down I should be preparing for a meeting tomorrow in which I’m asking some investors to give me a few million dollars to expand one of my 3 business’s.
I’m 25 years old. Things in my life are going great, I’m making money to live as well as supporting multiple employees. But as I sit behind my desk at work I’m on forums like EMTlife, Or purchasing textbooks to read from Amazon. At night when I should be sleeping I think of my partners roaming the city.
It doesn’t not make sense for me to give up what I have, nor could I even imagine how I could do that, but that thought still always nags me. I just want to drop everything I’m doing and go to P school.
To get over it I tell myself things like – well even being a paramedic will get old and I’ll get burntout – or – I have so much invested right now in my business I need to see that through.
But it’s tough, because I don’t care about money, or the prospect of being bored in the future.

So I’m not really expecting much from this post but I just felt like typing it up

Thanks for reading
-stick

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
wow. I am 2 years older than you and do not have a penny to my name lol. Congrats on the successful business. It sounds like you are enjoying the big bucks from your business but still want to be a paramedic....

If time does not permit you to do both currently maybe sell the big business for a lot of money and then be a Paramedic with 1 small business on the side? Lots of guys do stuff on the side.
I guess thats not a great reply, but its all I got right now lol

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I own a printed circuit board company but hate it, I am in EMT school now. My hope is that I earned enough to leave that life behind and start a new one. :)

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
First, I just want to say congrats to you for having so much ambition at your age and for being so successful. I know so many people your age who live with mom and dad, no job, no ambition--and it makes me sad for them. You only live once so you may as well make the most of it.

I am not in EMS yet, but from what people tell me, it doesn't pay very well. You have to ask yourself if you're willing to walk away from what is a very successful career to follow your passion. It's a tough decision to make. You said you're concerned you'd get burnt out at some point as a paramedic, but it sounds like you're burnt out already doing what you do now--and you're only 25! Plus, with a medical career, there are so many other things you could get into if you really did get burnt out as a paramedic. If I were you, I'd go to P school and then work part-time doing that for awhile to see how you like it before you give up your businesses. Where I live, you can go to P school at night so if they offer that where you live, you could go to school while you keep your businesses going. It won't be easy, but you seem like a motivated guy so you'll be fine.

Let us know what you decide!

DaniGrrl

Forum Lieutenant
It's going to boil down to what's more important to you, the money you're making or the job you love.

clibb

Forum Captain
We had a lawyer in our EMT class. He said that he didn't care about his career anymore and wanted to do something MEANINGFUL so he went to EMT class. Hell of a good student, too.

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
like you said you will get burned out being a medic, not worth giving up good businesse(s) that I assume makes you good money. If you want to work in EMS that bad be an EMT on a 911 rig with a medic partner and work part time (couple shifts) a month

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If you have 3 businesses could you make a profit off selling 2 or have another guy run the other 2 for you and manage the 1 business while being a Paramedic?

I have had paid part time and full time partners EMT-B and EMT-P's that are Stock investors, full time college students, PA students, Realtors, land lords, small business owners(pubs, mini marts, vending machines ect) artist, authors, directors, musicians, theologists, teachers, private contractors, military reserves, ect ect...
Once I feel more comfortable I plan on having something on the side also like many other Paramedics.

Just something to think about....

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
My situation was similar to yours. I'd had a lucrative career in the corporate world for 18 years before I got involved in EMS -- first as a volunteer, then paid. I transitioned from per diem to part-time to full-time work as a medic, and ended up back in management. Now I'm semi-retired, and working part-time again as a medic.

There's good and bad. I've missed the big paycheck during my EMS years, but I've enjoyed being a medic more than being an engineer (my original occupation) or a manager. EMS has given me a lot of satisfaction, but it's also taken a toll on my physical health, and played a role in a failed marriage.

Would I do it again? Not sure.

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
There's good and bad. I've missed the big paycheck during my EMS years, but I've enjoyed being a medic more than being an engineer (my original occupation) or a manager. EMS has given me a lot of satisfaction, but it's also taken a toll on my physical health, and played a role in a failed marriage.

Would I do it again? Not sure.

When you say it took a toll on your health, what do you mean? Back problems from lifting, or something else?

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I currently volunteer once a month or show for a large metro area with one of the highest per capita murder rates.
But as I sit behind my desk at work I’m on forums like EMTlife, Or purchasing textbooks to read from Amazon. At night when I should be sleeping I think of my partners roaming the city.
But it’s tough, because I don’t care about money, or the prospect of being bored in the future.

So I’m not really expecting much from this post

I would say your degree of success is directly related to your control of your personal time. It sounds like you've been able to take the time to explore EMS, all while keeping a number of mouths fed. Good job!

You are doing good work out in the streets while you're doing good work in the dominant culture's value system. That's a position few people get to play with. At the same time, you're feeling the pull to do something you deem more worthwhile, or, really, is it the adrenaline?

That's the next question I want you to ask yourself. The same drive that made you so successful and bored at work (would you spell it a-c-c-o-m-p-l-i-s-h-m-e-n-t ?) could easily trip you up in EMS, with far more dire consequences than losing your shirt.

If you can sit around and play with this forum at work, then you can work your time to get more hours in the field. For you in your life right now, it's not about what you can do but how you can do it. More experience in the field (satisfying that urge to do more to balance out your "other" life) does not mean you need to drop everything to become a paramedic. You literally can afford to be an EMT for a while and REALLY learn the field.

Before I go further, I'll wait for your response.

OP
OP
S

stick

Forum Ride Along
Thank you so much to everyone that replied. I wasn’t expecting much out of my post but it has been great reading your posts.
Shultz and NJnewbie, Belive me, I have for sure thought about selling off or having employee’s run things, but It’s proven to difficult
MGR22, thanks for sharing your similar experiance
Firetender, I want to especially thank you.

Please continue to post – If anyone else has any experience in choosing EMS over another field please write about it

OP
OP
S

stick

Forum Ride Along
I would say your degree of success is directly related to your control of your personal time. It sounds like you've been able to take the time to explore EMS, all while keeping a number of mouths fed. Good job!

You are doing good work out in the streets while you're doing good work in the dominant culture's value system. That's a position few people get to play with. At the same time, you're feeling the pull to do something you deem more worthwhile, or, really, is it the adrenaline?

I totally hear your point. I often struggle with that thought. So far all my experiences in EMS have been part time or volunteer. So, I can usually work up the adrenaline for every situation. Iv'e always thought that just as I get bored in business I too will get bored in EMS. And that’s how I’ve always explained it to friends who asked me why I didn’t devote my life to my passion.

That's the next question I want you to ask yourself. The same drive that made you so successful and bored at work (would you spell it a-c-c-o-m-p-l-i-s-h-m-e-n-t ?) could easily trip you up in EMS, with far more dire consequences than losing your shirt.

If you can sit around and play with this forum at work, then you can work your time to get more hours in the field. For you in your life right now, it's not about what you can do but how you can do it. More experience in the field (satisfying that urge to do more to balance out your "other" life) does not mean you need to drop everything to become a paramedic. You literally can afford to be an EMT for a while and REALLY learn the field.

I will try that – maybe I just need more time in the field- it will help with my desire to be in the field, and allow me to improve my skills

Before I go further, I'll wait for your response.

-as a side note- My father is a doctor. He never pressured me into the medical field. None of my siblings are involved with medicine either.

At this point my decision is to continue to focus on my businesses. In the fall I’m taking a night time intermediate course. Other then that I aim to be the best EMT I can be. If in a year or so I get my businesses able to run themselves or sold off then I will reconsider a career in EMS.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

-Stick

Last edited by a moderator:

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
At this point my decision is to continue to focus on my businesses. In the fall I’m taking a night time intermediate course. Other then that I aim to be the best EMT I can be. If in a year or so I get my businesses able to run themselves or sold off then I will reconsider a career in EMS.

That sounds like a good decision. A lot of people will tell you to follow your dreams, but when your dream job only pays $15/hr (or whatever it is in your area) it's just not realistic. And since you are able to do both EMS and your businesses, it seems like a win/win situation for you. Think about it, you're in a position to have the best of both worlds! Not many people can say that.

bryncvp

Forum Lieutenant
I have toyed with this idea too. Right now I am working on getting a volunteer position at a local house and, just like a lot of us, I find myself on this website and constant looking at different aspects of EMS and Fire. I have a great job now already in the medical field (sports medicine)..went to school for a long time to get it...was very patient and work myway up to a great Division I school with the highest profile sport where we are on ESPN all the time and a great paycheck to boot....yet I cant help but keep think about it all the time. Now, I do not have a position in a firehouse yet...interview is Tuesday and it is volunteer...but my biggest fear is...what if I love it? I love my job now....but can I walk away from everything I have worked so hard for to do this full time??? I dont know. Like the poster above me...I could have the best of both worlds...which could be great. I am in a Cardiac class now (RI doenst have EMT-I) and I cant help but think about..'ok..when can I get my medic...when can I get Fire I out of the way..should I take a Fire Science degree program at the school I work at..is WEMT worth it?"...stuff like that all the time...and its 1030 am..I have a stack of things to do for my professional job...and yet EMT Life has sucked me in!!!!!

Jinkx

Forum Probie
I have toyed with this idea too. Right now I am working on getting a volunteer position at a local house and, just like a lot of us, I find myself on this website and constant looking at different aspects of EMS and Fire. I have a great job now already in the medical field (sports medicine)..went to school for a long time to get it...was very patient and work myway up to a great Division I school with the highest profile sport where we are on ESPN all the time and a great paycheck to boot....yet I cant help but keep think about it all the time. Now, I do not have a position in a firehouse yet...interview is Tuesday and it is volunteer...but my biggest fear is...what if I love it? I love my job now....but can I walk away from everything I have worked so hard for to do this full time??? I dont know. Like the poster above me...I could have the best of both worlds...which could be great. I am in a Cardiac class now (RI doenst have EMT-I) and I cant help but think about..'ok..when can I get my medic...when can I get Fire I out of the way..should I take a Fire Science degree program at the school I work at..is WEMT worth it?"...stuff like that all the time...and its 1030 am..I have a stack of things to do for my professional job...and yet EMT Life has sucked me in!!!!!
I was a volunteer with a rural service before I was paid. I was also a board member for the same service. It was that service that "sucked" me in. I remember riding with a paid staff medic and thinking this had to be the greatest job on the planet. I never could understand why my paid staff partners had such a bad attitude when the tones went off. I have since made EMS my career and I can tell you its a lot more fun when EMS isnt a job. I still dont understand the bad attitudes but I do understand the mind between volunteer and paid staff.

Sounds like your back in the "woo woo" stage. And thats cool. Keep your day job, for awhile. I hope you love it but constantly check yourself. EMS is a labor of Love, because there isnt alot of money to be made. Thats why most of us have two jobs. Goodluck.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Everyone's passions and capabilities run differently. It's real heartening to see many people on this site who are into the work for the work, the service and the connection with what they do and the people they serve. Once you get it perfectly straight WHY you're there, it may not get easier but it remains satisfying.