Chain reaction takes out firetruck.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I missed being called to this collision as I had switched shifts with a buddy at work. Apparently a car and van collided and killed the woman in the car. As I understand it the car was making a left turn accross traffic to access an emergency vehicle crossover between the divided lanes of the highway.
As medics and others responded several other collisions occured. One of these was an 18 wheeler that crossed the median and took out a firetruck. Several other collisions occured one involved a large truck which flipped over a SUV without hurting anyone inside. I think six were taken to hospital.

It just goes to show what can happen on scene and how important it is to ensure scene safety as quickly as possible. I know those here with experience already know this but there are many on the forum who are new and don't have that experience yet.

Here is a link to the local paper which has pictures and a short video of one pt being taken away. The police have neon yellow jackets and the medics have a lovely smurf blue coat. Firemen are, well firemen.

http://www.ngnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=121468&sc=49

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Shows you what can happen in a blink of an eye...

Scene safety is often forgoten, as some believe the emergency lights on the vehicles will do the trick. We have a few scene safety vehicle in our area that perform this task, but are few and far between, and i see them less and less, its sad. Otherwise it is up to you to perform the task (prior to patient treatment).

I am glad you mentioned this thread is aimed at some of new members, and would have to say, that even as an experienced practitioner, it was also a good reality check and reminder to keep on doing it, as sometimes the more experienced can become "blase" when it comes to scene safety.

Scene safety saves lives!!!

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Shows you what can happen in a blink of an eye...

Scene safety saves lives!!!

Diddo! Safety First!!! followed by another safety then ABC's then observing safety!