Career Change

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, that is very disturbing. I had no idea the US is so far behind other countries.

Would you say it's best to take the classes you listed after becoming an EMT-B, or before?

Before

...since the wage is also low

I am no expert and many here are a better commentator than I but when you consider how low the education standards are (and therefore you have places churning out graduates a dime a dozen) that doesnt help. Also I believe your minimum wage is a bit lower than ours ($9 US an hour)

is the wage higher there as well or are the qualifications higher and the wage also low?

An Intensive Care Paramedic (ALS) here is on around $44,000 USD pa

TxRookie

Forum Probie
Well I know that there are several threads discussing this, but I would like to kindly ask for some suggestions based on my goal.

Basically I am planning to start EMT-B next January at the local comm college. This school is recognized by the state by having an 80% first time pass rate on the NR for Paramedics (so I know it is a good school) My goal is to continue to Paramedic school right after finishing EMT-B (fall 2010) as long as I am accepted to the program. Also my plan is to finish an AAS in EMS. I already have college credits (not science related).

So I would like to get ahead and start reading about EMT-B. The book that will be used next Jan is Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured by the Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. I would like to supplement this with another book, still maintaining the "step by step" process of learning.

Before anyone says something, YES I plan to take A&P. It is part of the AAS in EMS. However it might be after I am done with Paramedic. I guess it would be good to start reading about this, but it all depends if I can get in to the medic program. Otherwise A&P will be my fall classes for 2010.

Suggestions?

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
I don't have any advice since I'm new at this too, but that seems like a good path. One question though, at the community college where I live, they offer the AAS and you can either major in EMT or Paramedic. Is that the same as your program?

They also say you can go on for a bachelor's degree afterwards, but I'm not sure what that means. Is there such a thing as a BS in Emergency Science? Maybe there is. I already have a BA in an unrelated field so I'm not sure if getting the AAS (or another bachelors) would do me any good.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't have any advice since I'm new at this too, but that seems like a good path. One question though, at the community college where I live, they offer the AAS and you can either major in EMT or Paramedic. Is that the same as your program?

They also say you can go on for a bachelor's degree afterwards, but I'm not sure what that means. Is there such a thing as a BS in Emergency Science? Maybe there is. I already have a BA in an unrelated field so I'm not sure if getting the AAS (or another bachelors) would do me any good.

I will make only broad generic comments as again, I can't say anything specific.

You need as much education as you can get; the more you know the more use you are to your patient. Make it relevant perhaps an allied health degree or a BS or something I'm sure many more here are better informed about local programs than I. For example an English degree won't do you as much good as a BS.

Now here you are paid no more if you a degree medic (Bachelors degree) or a Diploma medic (what you'd call an AAS - now defunct); I doubt very much that the current political and industrial situation will allow for higher pay in the face of a Bachelors degree; but I could be wrong!

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
Thank you, Mr Brown. I see what you're saying. After looking more closely at the degrees my local CC offers, it seems that you need to already be an EMT-B before applying. Then, there are two paths available: 1) AAS in EMT or 2) AAS in Paramedic - which is where the EMT-B can get both the AAS and the Paramedic cert.

The nice thing is, both of these require classes in A&P and other science classes that would be prerequisites for other allied health degrees, so as you said, it is relevant for myself (and for my patients). Also, since I already have a bachelors (in psychology) I wouldn't have to take some of the classes so I could finish the degree in less time.

Interesting...

TxRookie

Forum Probie

The local college offers either a certificate of completion or an AAS in EMS. From all the research I have done, it does not make a difference if you are a licensed Paramedic (college degree) or a certified Paramedic as far as $$ goes. However I have read that some hospitals (doctors, nurse, etc...) will respect you more if you have a degree of some sort.

Me, I am doing it for 2 main reasons: 1) I dont have a college degree yet. I have over 74 credits all in general education. It would be nice to finally have something. 2) The more education in the field, the better. This is why I was requesting for books to read in the meantime.

I am really exited to start learning something new from all the years doing Business Analysis for a software company (10 years). I need a change from the office environment. My first job was a lifeguard for hotels (pool and beach) and a waterpark. I still say that was my favorite job of all times. Never pursue additional training cause at the time I wanted more money. Now I am "kinda" good; but now I am looking for something I really like and enjoyed for years (always loved the medical field).

Any suggestions on good books aside from what I will be getting during my classes?