Canadian EMR taking NREMT EMT-B?

bcemr

Forum Crew Member
Hey folks. I am a BC/Alberta registered EMR looking to take my NREMT EMT-B. Is there any way for me to do this? Will nremt recognize my EMR certificate/licensure from Canada? I'd like to avoid having to take an EMT-B course considering I have covered the content already.

Your thoughts/feedback is appreciated!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey folks. I am a BC/Alberta registered EMR looking to take my NREMT EMT-B. Is there any way for me to do this? Will nremt recognize my EMR certificate/licensure from Canada? I'd like to avoid having to take an EMT-B course considering I have covered the content already.

Your thoughts/feedback is appreciated!

Your best bet is to challenge the emt b in a state that doesnt use the nremt then challenge the nr exam or see if you can get credit from a us school. At that lower levels I have never heard of it being done. The nremt to my knowledge does not recognize foreign training without prior approval.

Just curious why do you want an nremt b cert?

OP
OP
bcemr

bcemr

Forum Crew Member
Your best bet is to challenge the emt b in a state that doesnt use the nremt then challenge the nr exam or see if you can get credit from a us school. At that lower levels I have never heard of it being done. The nremt to my knowledge does not recognize foreign training without prior approval.

Just curious why do you want an nremt b cert?

Great idea, thank you.
I am going to PA for my paramedic training next year and don't really want to incur a boot camp emt-b expense or take several months to do the B. It just doesn't make sense considering I've already done it.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Great idea, thank you.
I am going to PA for my paramedic training next year and don't really want to incur a boot camp emt-b expense or take several months to do the B. It just doesn't make sense considering I've already done it.

Def check with them to see if they will count your emr as equivocal. If you have experience that will probably help as well. Make sure they realize our first responder is more in line with their emt.