Canada Paramedic transfer to NREMT (US)

Benjamin Henry

Forum Probie
Hi all. I am a Primary Care Paramedic in British Columbia. I was wondering if it would be possible to transfer my license to the NREMT US licensure. I am a American Citizen and could if needed reside in the US.

My significant other is in Connecticut and I am thinking about moving there. I am aware of the differences in working in Canada vs the US so please leave that out :) Thanks!

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know how much you know about EMS licensing in the US, but every state has their own rules for licensure.

CT is one of the ones that requires NREMT, but not all do.

From my brief look online at the NREMT website it appears that your Paramedic education would have to be affiliated with a US based school. But your best bet is to call or email the NREMT and give them the specifics of your certifications.

OP
OP
Benjamin Henry

Benjamin Henry

Forum Probie
Thank you for your reply. I am going to give them a call on Monday. I was looking at past threads and one member mentioned that if a out of country paramedic was able to get a NREMT school to accept their credentials and write the exams, that would be a possible way to make it work.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
That's possible, but I would assume it would be based on a school by school basis.

cprted

Forum Captain
There is a reciprocity agreement between BC and Washington at least for BC EMR to WA EMT. Not sure about PCP to AEMT.

Rohan1

Forum Ride Along
There is a reciprocity agreement between BC and Washington at least for BC EMR to WA EMT. Not sure about PCP to AEMT.
Do you mind telling me more about this. The only real evidence I could find was a facebook post from jibc in 2011 saying BC EMR can transfer to WA EMT-B. Thanks!