Can students work part-time/weekends only?

beckett

Forum Ride Along
Hi guys, I'm currently a freshman in college and am planning on taking EMT classes during my junior year. I'm a biology major and would like to work as an EMT during the weekends while I'm still in school, but I'm not sure that's an option.

Is it possible to only work weekends as an EMT, or do they want you to pick up more shifts than that? Are weekend shifts a full 24 hours or are they 12 hour shifts? I'm really just unsure as to how the whole thing works. Thanks for the help!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Depends where you are, what company, what shifts they do, etc.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
As stated above it totally depends on the agency. Some are very flexible with scheduling, others are not.

I'm a full time undergrad myself and work 2 8 hour shifts a week. Gives me plenty of time to go to school and study, and have somewhat of a social life, lol. Picking up extra is generally not an issue so if I want to work more I can which is great during breaks, but I generally don't pick extra stuff up during the term.

It's totally doable but it becomes a bit complicated when it's time to register for your next term.

Last edited by a moderator:

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Do some research on volunteer agencies in your area or a collegiate run service at your university. Those are usually far more forgiving in their commitment and scheduling.

RebelAngel

White Cloud
Depends. My volunteer squad has no schedule, unless one EMT is not around then that's communicated to the only other active EMT in our squad. Basically the tones drop and whomever is available goes.

The other agencies I have looked into have schedules, whether volunteer or paid. Some are a few hours and others are longer.

That being said, I go on ride alongs as Observer (and/or aid). I don't get paid, it's all for the experience I can glean. When our squad's tones drop, if I can go, I go. I am going to be setting up ride alongs with other organizations that will put me on schedule as Observer, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I work a 24 on Saturday and pick up Sunday night 12 hours..

Some employers like the fact that I'm willing to take the weekend shift because a lot of people don't want to work weekends. So its great to put up a extra unit for the weekend shift when we are the busiest.

Its going to be dependent on the employer. If its a strictly IFT non emergency company most of their business is during the normal mon - fri 9-5 where as a IFT/911 business probably has a lot of weekend shifts available to alleviate the extra calls in to 911. Since most general practice doctors aren't open on the weekends everyone wants to run to the ER. look around at the local paying ambulance companies see who has what kind of shifts open and explain to them your a student during the week... We used to have college students over the summer all the time at my old job. They used to do the standby's and special events. at the Nascar Tracks.. Driving school courses. sports games etc..

topemttraining

Forum Probie
Hi guys, I'm currently a freshman in college and am planning on taking EMT classes during my junior year. I'm a biology major and would like to work as an EMT during the weekends while I'm still in school, but I'm not sure that's an option.

Is it possible to only work weekends as an EMT, or do they want you to pick up more shifts than that? Are weekend shifts a full 24 hours or are they 12 hour shifts? I'm really just unsure as to how the whole thing works. Thanks for the help!

Depends on the agencies you work and their requirements. You can search volunteer agencies near your area or agencies that require EMT volunteers and inquire their schedules because many agencies need volunteers to work part-time or weekends.