calming the nerves (long)

emtashleyb

Forum Crew Member
Ive been an emtb since I was 16. Of course right out of the gate I got a few calls that shook me up. (Im really for they need to make the age requiremrnt higher at 16 I had no idea what I was getting into and in no way could have been prepared for what I saw). The one that weighed most on my mind heavy for a long time was a 3 year old cardiac arrest. All we knew was that the kid had been ladi down on the couch for a nap and stopped breathing. So when they brought him out I opened his airway with the head tilt chin lift, no one supected any trauma until we cut off his clothes. The mother was denying trauma involved. Well we come to find out he had been thrown down the basement steps twice and had been beating the kid all of his short life. The paramedic tore me a new one for opening his airway wrong and told me I might have caused his death and I should just go back to being a stupid teeny bopper. For the longest time I did blame myself but I have done some counsiling and I know from all the details now there is no way I could have done it the boy was dead when we got there.

Anyway I ended up being a stupid teenager putting it on the back burner while I got pregnant, married and moving to a different state. Ive been playing around with the idea of going back to being an emt. Ive even joined the local volunteer station where we are.

Im extremely nervous. Evertyime I rode I had someone there with me every step of the way I was still a student afterall. Im just nervous about the fact I will be acting alone and possiably having to help someone who is a student out. Its been a good 3 1/2 years since Ive been on an ambo. I know I can handle whats thrown at me Im just still extremely nervous. I think its more of the possibility of leading someone if I have to more than just doing it myself. Any suggestions?

piranah

Forum Captain
well.....i know how you feel i was thrown by myself on an ambulance after precepting for 3 days........i just try to rely on the fact that im comfortable with my skills and so far have proved myself to be a knowledgable skilled professional.......if you know your skills and thought processes......it will come when it is time...it has for me...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
It sounds to me like your issue is more emotional than skills. Before getting back into EMS I'd recommend making sure you have a good support network for when things get dicey. If you did not fully resolve the emotional effects of the calls in your past, the first time you get into a similar situation, your ability to provide care may be impacted by resurrected feelings.

To be on the safe side, I think I'd sit down and talk with a therapist, experience in dealing with PTSD and get an assessment on your ability to cope. It may be that everything is fine, but if it isn't, better to find out now than when someone needs your help and you can't give it. Think of it as having the mechanic go over the car before you take a long trip in it.

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
I am glad to see that you make mention of the point that the starting age limit should be raised. I agree with that, some things are not ment for teenagers eyes and ears, for their own good.

Bossycow offered good advice, take it. Not all people are good leaders, and there is nothing wrong with that. Once you pick up your self confidence, you will be more confident with taking on a student. Until then i suggest you work without one, there will always be students around.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
nah...it doesn't matter if your 16 or 30 it would still have affected you and you still may have made the same mistake, only now with a kid it would have been much much harder to cope with.

CrazyCanuck

Forum Probie
I totally agree with Bossy Cow...get the professional counselling & support network going on. After all, we're human beings and not invincible! Where I work...we don't let rookies precept students until they have a minimum of 1 year under their belts and are able to demonstrate leadership/teaching abilities. Good luck with your future.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
i think its interesting you dont have age restrictions. I know here for our EMT programs you have to be at least 18 to apply for them, most ambulance companies wont let you work for them until your 21 which put more restrictions on age. but experiance is a whole other story

OP
OP
E

emtashleyb

Forum Crew Member
thanks everyone I appreciate the replies, the guy where I started volunteering is a little off his rocker hes a great guy but got a little miffed when I told him the doubt in abilities. Maybe its time to talk to someone again Im sure its just the jitters of getting back into everything.

i think its interesting you dont have age restrictions. I know here for our EMT programs you have to be at least 18 to apply for them, most ambulance companies wont let you work for them until your 21 which put more restrictions on age. but experiance is a whole other story

Its the east coast they do alot of things I dont understand like deep fry oreo cookies and slam on their breaks for no apparent reason

Kate-Lynn

Forum Probie
Its the east coast they do alot of things I dont understand like deep fry oreo cookies and slam on their breaks for no apparent reason

I thought only Texans did that. lol.

BossyCow's advice sounds like a good first step. Once you get back into it and become more confident in your skills I think you'll be able to deal with things a bit better. Esp. after realizing you're competent and able to do what needs to be done. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic9

Forum Lieutenant
NY you have to be 18 and I still wonder if that is old enough to get into EMS. We all have calls that make us second guess our skills and decisions. Listen to all the good advice given on here and just keep hanging in there.

Deep fried Oreos? I have lived in several states in the eastern side of the US and have never heard of those. Now, slamming on the breaks, that is a problem all over.