Calling all NE US EMTs! Advise me!

squid

Forum Lieutenant
Hey, so I'm thinking of moving in about a year. Wondering if anyone has stories about getting their EMT certs in another state. Right now, we haven't narrowed it down a lot, but it's going to be in the NE US, most likely NY or Maine, or possibly those little bitty states in between.

Most of them, I can look up some information online, but... eh... you know how it goes. I have a weird cert that doesn't align totally with NREMT standards. It's a state cert that lets me ... hm... do IVs and intubate and push some cardiac drugs. Does anyone know how that compares with other states and who does reciprocity or what? Should I go back and try to get my national I (which is very hard to do here) to make things easier? Or what?

Or, failing the good advice, got any stories?

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Squid we were looking in that area as well, specifically those states. I didn't find anything on the net about what certs they accepted at all. And I spent hours looking. From what I can tell most states want you to have your NR but don't accept it as being qualified you still have to take a state test.

I wish I could be of more help. We've decided not to go yet, so I kind of let the search go.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
pfft, NY is not NE.
Here in mass, if you have NR cert then you can take the state exam and you're all set.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Technically it is...

Do a google search for North East US... and you get this:

nestates.gif

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Wingnut said:
Squid we were looking in that area as well, specifically those states.
No your not. Don't lie. You're not going anywhere. Once you cross the state line you can't leave. Didn't you get the memo?

:ph34r:

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
check out the cost of living I moved from mass.. because of the Taxes and the Taxes and the taxes and the snow..... alot of the realtors sites (national level ) will have an area were you can compare cost of living...you can put in what you are doing and what you are making a year were you are now.. then pick the city or town your going to and it will tell you what kind of money they are making to live the same way... example is our auto ins was cut in half plus maoving to Virginia.. the same home we have here thats cost about 350k horse allowed with 3100 sq ft or living space and 3 acres back were we use to live in worcester county Ma. is running about 750k......

your cert's may work for ya but you may take a beating on trying to live there
Conn. is high RI is high Maine is nice if your a cold weather person..

Being in Virginia I have the ocean about 3 to 4 hours away( still like to be closer) mountains about 30 min .. still the four season.. but winter is shorter and the COST of living is alot less

If you can spend a couple of weekends in the places you narrow down... we found this to be very helpful .. or even check out there newspaper on line

just my $.02 worth

OP
OP
S

squid

Forum Lieutenant
Oops, sorry, I should have said I'm actually a volunteer. I'm not looking at paid work, just volunteering and trying to streamline the process.... we'd be moving based on 2 things: a recon trip this summer and where we can get hired as teachers in the same community.

I just don't want to wind up having to take a million redundant classes or something just to be an EMT in some other state.

Oh, and i'm from NY, so I can tell you exactly where it is: East of the Hudson, excluding NYC, is in the NE. the rest isn't. :D

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Chimpie said:
No your not. Don't lie. You're not going anywhere. Once you cross the state line you can't leave. Didn't you get the memo?

:ph34r:

LOL :lol: The operative word is "was". Looks like we're going to Bonita or Ft myers instead.

Oh and WHKR, not true, there's no volunteering here except for the Red Cross...if you can get them to call you back.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
Squid,
perhaps contacting the ems state office where you'll think you'll land would be prudent.

~S~

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
There has to be at least one volunteer ambulance service in the State of Florida!

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
NE = Northeast, NY included
NE = New England, NY not included

Anyways, in NY, you MUST have a state license from another state. Not all states are accepted 1 for 1. I know VA medic cards can be translated into NY medic cards in my county with as little as a protocol class and exam.

Good luck to you!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Wingnut said:
LOL :lol: The operative word is "was". Looks like we're going to Bonita or Ft myers instead.

Oh and WHKR, not true, there's no volunteering here except for the Red Cross...if you can get them to call you back.
Hey, you'll at least be closer to me.