Calling all computer Geeks..

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
So as most everyone knows companies don't give a windows cd with a new comp anymore. I have googled and googled my way through many days trying to find the answer to my question. Ok so my question is I have the CD-key for my windows 7 on the bottom of my laptop but no cd. Is there anyway to clean install windows? Btw my laptop is a toshiba satellite.

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
I've looked at all that but seeing as how I already have windows 7 and a legal cd-key I don't see why I should have to pay for another copy.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Then what exactly is your problem? Are you trying to install it on a different computer? Generally it is one license per computer, so if you've already installed the software on a computer you either need to convince Microsoft to let you install it on a second one, or you need to pay for a second copy of the software.

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Well my problem is I am trying to reformat my computer to the way it was when I first got it. Back in the day you would get the discs to do this with but now they don't send them for some stupid reason. I made a repair disc the day I got it which they suggested but when I try and reformat from the disc it pops it out and asks for the windows discs.

Aidey

Have you already reformated the computer?

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
No because it says I need the windows discs which I do not have because they don't give them out with new computers anymore.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
If you have the receipt or some other proof of purchase for your computer, you can contact the company you bought it from and request a disk. That is what I did when I bought by laptop. Since you 'bought' a copy of windows when you purchased the computer, they usually have no problem sending you a physical copy.

Aidey

I got that you didn't get disks, that isn't uncommon, most computers haven't come with them in years. Generally they create a partition on the hard drive and store the recovery data there. I'm not sure what you are googling that you aren't getting any information.

Try "factory restore windows 7 toshiba satellite XXXXX" replacing the x's with the model number of your computer.

You can also generally order an actual CD from the computer manufacturer. I also suggest double checking the manual and re-making a new recovery disk, making sure that you follow the steps exactly.

Or, take it to Best Buy and have Geek Squad do it.

Bruiser

Forum Ride Along
restart your computer. when it loads you want to go into the Bios menu and set your cd rom drive as the boot drive. then insert your restore cd

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
I figured out how to do it and got both my laptops done.. Thanks for the replies.