Call came in as AMS/Combative, crashed en route to ER?

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
something so sudden with all vitals wnl suggests something cardiac related.

I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. It could just as easily be a neurological problem, and few sudden onset cardiac complaints result in an instant transition from baseline menatation to unresponsiveness.

If he suffered a sudden cardiac arrest, it would fit. Beyond that, there should have been some sort of lead up, which would have been reflected in the vital signs most likely. This is of course assuming the vitals were taken accurately and often enough to establish a trend. If the last good set of signs was 45 minutes old, or if a good set of signs was never really done(not a personal attack, who of us hasn't phoned in a seemingly stable bls transfer),then this could have been brewing for awhile.

This sounds much more neuro to me, but with no real information to go on, it really could be anything and arguing about a call with none of the necessarily details is pointless.

MikeC

Forum Crew Member
I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. It could just as easily be a neurological problem, and few sudden onset cardiac complaints result in an instant transition from baseline menatation to unresponsiveness.

If he suffered a sudden cardiac arrest, it would fit. Beyond that, there should have been some sort of lead up, which would have been reflected in the vital signs most likely. This is of course assuming the vitals were taken accurately and often enough to establish a trend. If the last good set of signs was 45 minutes old, or if a good set of signs was never really done(not a personal attack, who of us hasn't phoned in a seemingly stable bls transfer),then this could have been brewing for awhile.

This sounds much more neuro to me, but with no real information to go on, it really could be anything and arguing about a call with none of the necessarily details is pointless.

I was thinking mostly cardiac arrest, which could be d/t something underlining that was "missed" as you pointed out. Potential CVA included in that, so impacting the neurological ultimately.

Who knows. It'd be interesting if the OP got feedback from staff on it.