California Healthcare Strike.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Maybe, heck, probably . What I have seen more of is nurses badmouthing unions and dues, but plenty OK with accepting the raises and benefits and job protections that unions bring the entire shop.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
Maybe, heck, probably . What I have seen more of is nurses badmouthing unions and dues, but plenty OK with accepting the raises and benefits and job protections that unions bring the entire shop.

In California, if the department or hospital is a closed shop, you don't have a choice but to join and pay a significant initiation fee and dues which often offset any raises. Wages go up and so do union fees. It is not a matter of accepting or rejecting. You work for a union shop and pay the dues and be told how to think and vote on every political issue. You don't have much say on how the union decides to use the money either.

The same thing happens here in EMS and Fire. Nurses aren't the only ones badmouthing anyone.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
you don't have a choice but to join and pay a significant initiation fee and dues which often offset any raises. Wages go up and so do union fees.

At 30000 dollars a year a negotiated raise of 3 percent nets a 900 dollar a year raise which means in order for a dues increase to offset the gain, union dues would have to go up by 75 dollars a month. Anybody know what the current union dues for hospital ER techs in California are per month?

Union dues are generally based on a percentage of the average workers pay so if wages go up it only makes sense that union dues would as well. The same thing happens with taxes, you make more you pay more. Unless of course you're in the top 10 percent then of course you pay less but that's an entirely different issue. ;)

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
As far as worrying about doing things outside their scope, many times as hospital techs you are not working as an EMT. They want you to have your EMT or LVN or CNA certification and experience as filter for people who have medical experience and understanding, but you're not working under that license. They might put you through in-house training to do a variety of tasks.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
At 30000 dollars a year a negotiated raise of 3 percent nets a 900 dollar a year raise which means in order for a dues increase to offset the gain, union dues would have to go up by 75 dollars a month. Anybody know what the current union dues for hospital ER techs in California are per month?

Union dues are generally based on a percentage of the average workers pay so if wages go up it only makes sense that union dues would as well. The same thing happens with taxes, you make more you pay more. Unless of course you're in the top 10 percent then of course you pay less but that's an entirely different issue. ;)

I can see you are pro union.

ER Techs are usually with SEIU here and not the same unions as more of those considered as professional license holders. NUHW is the other union.

The dues are usually 1.5 to 2.0% if pre-tax earnings and maybe another fee up to $10 for whatever extra what negotiated. The wage increases have been placed as steps to 3% over 3 years so it is not an immediate 3%. That is 1% first year, +1% second year and +1% third year. The 2% dues increase can be immediate. Initiation fee is about $300 split over the first couple of checks.

The average wage for ER Techs in this area is probably $20 with some up to $30 or $35. At 2% without the extra fees union dues can be about $900 yearly. Usually the max at $1250 for this level of union employee. There are cheaper unions but it all depends on the hard sell. Now SEIU and NUHW have been fighting each other and both have losses in support.

What some don't realize is big health care corps like Kaiser, CHW, AMR, Sutter, Paramedics Plus, Rural Metro and so on will all have similar packages for insurance and retirement at each of their facilities. The wage will be influenced by the location. Texas people won't make the same as California but might have the exact health care and retirement plan. Kaiser and Sutter have their own insurance plans. No union is going to tell Kaiser they can't offer Kaiser insurance to their employees.

When a strike is called, union members will see very little of that money they have paid even though some say that is what it goes toward.

I'm neither for or against unions but I think you should read the fine print and see the bigger picture. Since labor laws now offer all the protection unions once wanted that should not be a selling point. Some union reps are also limited and won't fight at the Federal or State level when it comes to tax screwups. When you get any group together, large or small, it is easy to get caught up in the excitement of the sales pitch.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
As far as worrying about doing things outside their scope, many times as hospital techs you are not working as an EMT. They want you to have your EMT or LVN or CNA certification and experience as filter for people who have medical experience and understanding, but you're not working under that license. They might put you through in-house training to do a variety of tasks.

Yeah, alot of EMTs are afraid to apply for an ER Tech job because they think having to get a Phlebotomy cert with the state and draw blood will violate their EMT cert. I guess for some it is hard to get past just the EMT thing.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Yeah, alot of EMTs are afraid to apply for an ER Tech job because they think having to get a Phlebotomy cert with the state and draw blood will violate their EMT cert. I guess for some it is hard to get past just the EMT thing.

It is a limit of the education. They are drilled scope in a class that barely covers the curriculum, certain it does not have time for "alternative" functions or even the job that a majority of EMTs do, which is IFT.

You find the exact same drilling in other low level heathcare positions. Black and white lines in the sand.

I don't know about in CA, but in a few states I am familiar with, EMTs cannot function as EMTs in the hospital. They function under the "tech" (with many names, clinical tech, ed tech, etc.) which the hospital defines the duties and conducts the proper training for.

They use the "EMT" requirement as a way of setting a basic skill level prior to training, otherwise they would have to demonstrate things like they taught you how to take BP.

Some hospitals (including one I was employed at) do the same for medics. They don't have to show you how to start IVs, pleb certs, etc, because it can be demonstrated that was part of your initial education.

If people don't understand that, then they will simply not be part of the applicant pool. Better oportunities for those that do.

If they actually get hired and try to function under an EMT scope or refuse to do things because they are "EMTs" then They can expect to be looking for work again. Better for the applicant pool al the same.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Interesting you use the term mercenary. From wiki "motivated to take part in the hostilities essentially by the desire for private gain". This term tends to have a negative connotation.

But its pretty much the exact thing i was doing, taking part in the hostile situation between the hospital and their employees soley for a paycheck, or cash as the case was

You are very brave and very fortunate.

Im not afraid of the Unions, im here to do a job

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

Sodapop

Forum Crew Member
I have started the process to work during the strike. The patients are still going to need care and having people that are not orientated to the specific facility will mean bumps on the road but even the folks striking know that people still need to be cared for. A friend of mine is traveling to a different part of the state just to not have any conflict with staff that he will work with in his town in the future. $500 a day for 3 twelve hour shifts is money I need badly so as an ER Tech I dont care if it is patient care, clean up, or mopping floors. It is 3 days and I am not above crap clean up stuff if that is what is needed.

Ultimately, I do not expect this to create future opportunities or anything of the sorts. I expect to help make certain the public is cared for during the time of the strike. I hold no ill feelings for the staff striking they need to make their point and I understand that. Looking forward to making a little $$$ and hoping that things work out for all involved.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Unions did a great job in Detroit, oh wait.....

They get their members these absolutely incredible health care plans and outrageous hourly wages. They are very successful. It's not their fault that the US economy went downhill and people stopped buying cars, but for many years it was an epic job to have.