California EMT License Question

TraderA

Forum Ride Along
I Passed my NREMT back in July of 2010. I started to do Live Scan (background check) that cost me $80. But i got a better job NOT EMT related and stopped pursuing EMT and never got STATE certified. Now, LA City Fire is hiring and require EMT license. I am in the process but am wondering if i need to retake the ENTIRE course? My friend, who worked as an EMT for a year, passed his NREMT the same time as me. His State Certification has lapsed its 2 years and he is about to take CE's to recertifiy. My NREMT doesnt expire till March 31st is there anyway i can get a CA license? (p.s. i cannot renew my NREMT because it requires that i have at least 6 months worth of job experience)

Lazer

Forum Probie
I really don't know but I would assume you could apply for certification until the day your NREMT expires.

OP
OP
T

TraderA

Forum Ride Along
ya

I emailed the place where you get your state cert. And they told me my course completion must be under two years which mine is a few months over. I find it lame that If a few months ago i paid 150 to get a state license i can recertify but because I never paid the 150 I gotta do it all over.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It's worth asking your state OEMS whether they accept reciprocity from an outside state. In that case, you could apply for and get an outside state certification based on your NR card (before it expires), then apply for reciprocity into CA. Whatever the case, it's prudent to recertify your NR so you have more than a month for paperwork...