CA Ambulance Drivers Certification Question

charnel moon

Forum Ride Along
So, I've gotten all of my paperwork together and am planning on taking the test soon. I was exceedingly honest during my DOT physical though, and admitted to recreational use of a controlled substance ~1.5 years ago (psylocibin). The medical examiner who preformed the exam cleared me on both the state and federal level, declaring me stable and eligible to drive.

Will having that question marked "yes" automatically disqualify me from receiving my ambulance license? If I wait a few months, it will technically be true that it has been two years since I used an illegal substance, and I can retake the physical without having to check that box. Would that be a safer bet?

A very stupid situation that I entirely put myself in I know, but I'd really appreciate any insight that anybody can offer on this matter. Thank you very much.

SteezEMT

Forum Ride Along
Honestly? I don't think so. Upon looking at the requirements listed on the DMV website, I didn't see anything aside from needing to be cleared (Med examiners). I would look at the actual certificate that the med examiner gave you to present to the DMV and see if it's listed there. If it isn't, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
C

charnel moon

Forum Ride Along
Honestly? I don't think so. Upon looking at the requirements listed on the DMV website, I didn't see anything aside from needing to be cleared (Med examiners). I would look at the actual certificate that the med examiner gave you to present to the DMV and see if it's listed there. If it isn't, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Best of luck!
Thanks for your reply! It is listed in the packet I'm required to turn into the DMV, but as I said the medical examiner cleared me to drive for both state and federal, so I think (hope) I should be good. I'm just nervous that whoever is looking over my paperwork will be in a grouchy mood :p

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
DMV literally pulls out a Brother typewriter to make your license. If you got cleared, I highly doubt that it's going to affect your drivers license.

Now, your future employers, on the other hand... careful what you say. :)

SteezEMT

Forum Ride Along
LOL yeah it's pretty archaic. Even then I wouldn't expect it to matter, and if your employer brings it up just frame it in the way that you were being honest and it was almost two years ago! I really think you'll be okay.