Buzzed 17 year-old refusing treatment

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@hometownmedic5 I appreciate your insight and forethought, however, somethings are just lost on others:).

bakertaylor28

Forum Lieutenant
As I said, if that's the world you live in then do what you have to do. I don't live in that world, nor do most of the providers on this thread.

If I treated every person I contact in a month as a patient, I'd spend most of my time writing refusals. I probably do ten third party activations a month where I arrive and find a person who was napping on a bench, or in their car, or who was confused because the store they were looking for closed last month and they were wandering up and down the street looking lost and confused and because they happen to be 80, some cell phone wielding hero called 911.

Not everybody I talk to after being dispatched to their location is a patient and non patients don't require refusals. As presented, this is a police matter, not an EMS call. I would write it up exactly as I posted here and not give it a second thought. If you live in a different world then so be it, but no matter how many times it's repeated that a 17 year old lack legal capacity to refuse care, you're not going to change my mind that this person is not a patient and has business only with the police and his parents.

Even If it is a police matter, they know their not going to get a detention facility to accept someone in this sort of state anyways without an MD clearance, so either way, the net effect is the same. Its really more of a question of who's vehicle is doing the transport.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Even If it is a police matter, they know their not going to get a detention facility to accept someone in this sort of state anyways without an MD clearance, so either way, the net effect is the same. Its really more of a question of who's vehicle is doing the transport.

Plenty of juvenile detention centers will accept a minor who's intoxicated...not if they fall down, passed out drunk but adult facilities won't accept a person like that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bakertaylor28

Forum Lieutenant
Plenty of juvenile detention centers will accept a minor who's intoxicated...not if they fall down, passed out drunk but adult facilities won't accept a person like that either.

Gee, then it appears that our local SOPs are much stricter than average. Our local county-run facilities will not accept an individual that shows any signs of CNS impairment whatsoever without clearance from an MD not directly in the employ of the county. Of course they changed their SOP after they booked someone they thought was drunk, it turned out to be a stroke, and a DOA.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Gee, then it appears that our local SOPs are much stricter than average. Our local county-run facilities will not accept an individual that shows any signs of CNS impairment whatsoever without clearance from an MD not directly in the employ of the county. Of course they changed their SOP after they booked someone they thought was drunk, it turned out to be a stroke, and a DOA.

That's definitely not the norm.

bakertaylor28

Forum Lieutenant
That's definitely not the norm.

Well, what can I say- the notion that any idiot doesn't know that when someone looks like their face is starting to melt off their head has at least *some sort* of serious medical issue going on isn't normal either. So I guess I'm dealing with an abnormal local administration. Of course then again, I'm from a state where exists the only EMS system on the face of the planet that faces a lawsuit because the administrators actually ***Thought*** they would allegedly screw the government out of a bunch of money using a rather ornate set of kickbacks. (And then after getting caught, try to say they didn't). Gee, Imagine That.