Burnout, now where.

Wyoming Medic

Forum Crew Member
K, here I am. A 10 year NREMT-paramedic who has worked most of his career with a Fire/EMS department. After 9 years, I got bored with fire and became a police officer and became our SRT (SWAT) medic. It was fun but not much EMS involved.

After about a year of that, I broke my back. Surgery and recovery and I am 100% (but no longer a cop). I now work in an ER as a clinical based medic for a trauma center. Still good experience and it has let my back heal, but I am ready to hit the streets again.

Here in Wyoming though, that is a losing plan. Almost no medic services and compensation that sucks.

So where to go? Considered Colorado. Had an offer from one of the EMS chiefs of a large metro FD that I took some classes with. But I dunno if I want to get into all of that again.

Maybe something in EMS education. Any medic schools hiring and paying decent?

OOOOOHHHHHHm, Or I could become some medic that accompanies science expeditions into the jungle. Pay would probably suck though.

I guess (as you can see from my ramblings), I am bored and have no idea where to go or what to do with my medic.

THoughts?

WM

P.S. I am WAY too tall to take on a lifeflight job. I don't fit into the rotors and I am too heavy for duty weight (6'6" and 250#s). Plus, I aint a big fan of flying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
K, here I am. A 10 year NREMT-paramedic who has worked most of his career with a Fire/EMS department. After 9 years, I got bored with fire and became a police officer and became our SRT (SWAT) medic. It was fun but not much EMS involved.

After about a year of that, I broke my back. Surgery and recovery and I am 100% (but no longer a cop). I now work in an ER as a clinical based medic for a trauma center. Still good experience and it has let my back heal, but I am ready to hit the streets again.

Here in Wyoming though, that is a losing plan. Almost no medic services and compensation that sucks.

So where to go? Considered Colorado. Had an offer from one of the EMS chiefs of a large metro FD that I took some classes with. But I dunno if I want to get into all of that again.

OOOOOHHHHHHm, Or I could become some medic that accompanies science expeditions into the jungle. Pay would probably suck though.

I guess (as you can see from my ramblings), I am bored and have no idea where to go or what to do with my medic.

THoughts?

WM

P.S. I am WAY too tall to take on a lifeflight job. I don't fit into the rotors and I am too heavy for duty weight (6'6" and 250#s). Plus, I aint a big fan of flying.

Well aside from the criminal enterprises your unique blend of education and experience would lend to, have you considered the national park service?

clibb

Forum Captain

THoughts?

WM

I have seen adds that HealthOne is hiring for instructors at their Paramedic school.
I have heard a lot of good things about South and West Metro FD in Colorado. We have a few medics here who work there full-time and they do an excellent job. Most of the Fire Departments in Northern Colorado are in their hiring process right now, so I have no idea if you can get in there still. They can only do EMT-B level patient care, though. But, the pay is amazing.

OP
OP
Wyoming Medic

Wyoming Medic

Forum Crew Member
Well aside from the criminal enterprises your unique blend of education and experience would lend to, have you considered the national park service?

I have looked into it HEAVILY. Sounded great as I am a rabid outdoorsman and love the thought.

But I never could get the pay where I wanted it to be. It was so low, I actually doubt I could keep my family fed.

But, ohhh to dream :rolleyes:

WM

OP
OP
Wyoming Medic

Wyoming Medic

Forum Crew Member
I have seen adds that HealthOne is hiring for instructors at their Paramedic school.
I have heard a lot of good things about South and West Metro FD in Colorado. We have a few medics here who work there full-time and they do an excellent job. Most of the Fire Departments in Northern Colorado are in their hiring process right now, so I have no idea if you can get in there still. They can only do EMT-B level patient care, though. But, the pay is amazing.

I will look into HealthOne. I am not familiar with them at all.

As for the FD thing, I dunno if I want back into that. But thanks for the info anyway.

WM