Burning out on the American Red Cross (rant, and open to ideas)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I have been instructing as a volunteer for three years going on four. I have had slack periods lasting months, and I have had stretches where I was teaching two classes a week, (one time, three).

And I Have About Had It.

Falling customer service, climbing student and instructor fees, my dislike of being "handled" or "managed",organizational absolute resistance to improvement and suggestion unless it originates with paid staff, paperwork more intricate than that of private companies for less service to customers, and being told that as an instructor "…you are a tiny part of a very small portion of this organization" (by a paid IT expert moved into a volunteer-management position). Tortuous and replicative means to schedule classes and find out when I am needed. Employees afraid to answer email, or answering email and verbal questions with unresponsive boilerplate ("fogging"). These do not motivate me to help them (notice I don't think of ARC as "us").

As a private instrutor, I have two pieces of paper to turn in (a class roster and my expense sheet), they return emails promptly and honestly, and they have an 800 number where I can reach someone and talk to them, not a call center or a toll number (sometimes) like the ARC. AND I get paid, and am supplied with materials for free, occasionally including manikins shipped from and back to HQ!!

ARC? I have to get on the phone to a call center in Pennsylvania and verbally report my roster after each class (within 24 hrs but supposed to do it immediately); with add-ons, roster errors and just the basic grades (S and U, not P and F, mind you), this can easily take twenty or thirty minutes. And then I have all these original hardcopy tests and roster etc I am stuck with since, once my manager has a copy of the roster (and rosters from classes away from the office are faxed in) they or (s)he is/are uninterested in keeping hardcopies. Add having to get the hard copy of student assessments and my required instructor after-action (on which I use the margins as much as the blanks because the questions are so limited and fail to capture the class issues) to my manager, and you have a sort of FUBAR picture.

I enjoy teaching, especially professionals, and this offers lots of opportunities, but it is getting just too ridiculous. Especially the part where the emperor is wearing new clothes (deficient process and policies we can't discuss).

In days gone by (ah, 2011, I remember you well…) I could have just volunteered at the little local offices and bypass the mothership, but National dissolved much of the local offices and coagulated them into a regional office the boundaries of which are over three hours' drive away.

So, anyone having good experiences teaching with ARC? AM I stuck in some sort of lizard pit? (one step better than a snake pit).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

EDIT: there are still some good people in the system.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

News about American Red Cross Maybe

Possibly coming soon: free classes to teach people to teach classes. (aka "cadre").

I always despaired and puzzled over why it cost so much to become an instructor while they needed still more vollie ones. Now they are addressing it.
I'm still set to slide on out though.

Jmo371

Forum Crew Member
Why cant you do course records online in instuctors corner.....i dont have any trouble with it and it takes 5-10 minutes for a full class.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Why cant you do course records online in instuctors corner.....i dont have any trouble with it and it takes 5-10 minutes for a full class.

1. Was never properly introduced to the Corner and find it frustrating and (to my twisted mind very counterintuitive.

2. We were told to use the phone.

Closed out a class today and it took about four minutes. Better person on the phone.

I hear the other website will be disposed of ("Saba"?). Even the people hired to do user telephone support complained about it.

Jmo371

Forum Crew Member
Ah i have found it frustrating for sure....its either saba or instructors corner i cant remeber the differance lol. I guess i just got used to it.

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
I just completed my instructor certification course for AHA last night. 10 people in the class and I was the only newbie, all the other people were former ARC instructors and were glad to have made the switch. Might want to see if there are any instructor courses for AHA in your area, they are becoming more frequent as AHA is gearing up with instructors. Where I am in Western PA there is a major shortage of instructors for some reason and tons of work out there, kind of surprising with our large Medic population, but guess a lot of people do not want to teach.

Edit: BTW, the instructors determine the class cost, yes even for the instructors certification. Our class was $25 and our instructor is already lining up a class for each of us to teach to get the audited class out of the way. Need to teach one with an experienced practitioner present to evaluate your teaching. None of the money goes to the AHA, you do have to use their DVD process, but can adapt the program otherwise as you see fit/class needs for learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

A thought indeed, thanks.

I am registered to teach for ASHI/MEDIC 1 and a company in Florida with similar tenets, but they offer far fewer opportunities to teach. I had a good deal between rare paid gigs and many vollie opportunities.

There is another possibility though, and that is I'm getting too old and grumpy to adapt and go with the flow.

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
old soldiers never die, they just go to heaven and regroup at the rally point!^_^ I got pulled in because there are so many paid opportunities out here they needed my help so they do not have to turn down jobs... Check around your area I am sure it has be similar out east in the state as well. Many companies out here will only accept AHA for job requirements now. If you want the Boss ladies info message me, I am sure she would be more than happy to talk with you about other options as well.

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
Sorry Mycroft, for some reason I thought you were out east in PA...just realized your in CA...was a long day...zzzzzzzzzzzzz

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Sorry Mycroft, for some reason I thought you were out east in PA...just realized your in CA...was a long day...zzzzzzzzzzzzz

NO troubles, Mate!
I'm pulling two retirements, have TRICARE, AARP, and Visa. And NO interest in teaching for money through ARC.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

No thanks.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Last dance

Last ARC class. Stacked class of eleven, two were former students (2012). A good exit.
Now, the paperwork.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

old soldiers never die, they just go to heaven and regroup at the rally point!^_^ I got pulled in because there are so many paid opportunities out here they needed my help so they do not have to turn down jobs... Check around your area I am sure it has be similar out east in the state as well. Many companies out here will only accept AHA for job requirements now. If you want the Boss ladies info message me, I am sure she would be more than happy to talk with you about other options as well.

RescueRider, that rally point is called Fiddler's Green.