Brown Recluse Spiders: how hard can it be to find one?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
;)
One thing about field EMS tx for "spider bites": there is no real treatment except consider them to be infectious, reassure the pt, adminster analgesia as allowed, and go to the hospital with the best history and observations you can bring. Almost all field treatments suggested by anyone higher up the ladder than the ER is suspect and probably not going to make difference in the field.

Actually, one probably should not be even called for such an event. p.s Spider bites are not infectious it is the bacteria that can be infected. I do routinely respond to spider bites that have became infected. I had one last spring that I had to intubate, place on a vent, use vasopressors all because of sepsis r/t a Brown Recluse spider bite, that was not aggressively tx. In fact, she is now on dialysis due to her renal failure r/t the sepsis.

Don't know what to think about the reference to "barely any effects". Apparently, they did no tell the patients I treated. In fact, that is one of the most common "plastics" job around here is repairing the hole it left. Yes, I have seen several hundreds and yes, again it is a very common daily event here. They will even bring in the spider to be identified, which is easily identified because the markings such as the fiddle design on the back and the brownish color. They are usually small but I have seen the most damaged cause by the smaller ones.

We have protocols to treat as any reaction with H2 Blockers and steroids. (Benadryl & Solumedrol).

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Ridryder, thanks

What I meant about treating them as though infectious was not that spider bites per se are infectious, but that in my experience most "spider bites" are in fact staph gotten way out of hand. Or foot or whatever. If I remember, my point about negligible effects was that some people apparently are bitten and nothing happens, just some folks (like myself) have light exposure to poison oak and do not react; however, as the bite is not percieved, those people are not noted.
Hundreds of bites? Crikey!!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
They will even bring in the spider to be identified, which is easily identified because the markings such as the fiddle design on the back and the brownish color. They are usually small but I have seen the most damaged cause by the smaller ones.

R/r 911

That may be part of the discrepancy on the statistics. A university documented case of a brown recluse bite will have to have the spider present or a very clear eyewitness report of seeing the spider in order to be a 'confirmed' event. As I said initially, the bite is generally not the issue, its the 24 hours later event that causes the visit to the ER or Doc's office.

One of the three I know of personally had about a 3" chunk of tissue removed from his arm. Not MRSA but continued necrosis from the toxin. He had to have the wound treated several times each time taking out a bit more and a bit more. This was in the early 80's.