Brewing National Debate: Move EMS from DOT to DHS?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Brewing National Debate: Move EMS from DOT to DHS?
May 3, 2005

A Homeland Security Policy Institute (HSPI) task force announced today that EMS would be more appropriately delegated to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) than under its current administration by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). The task force makes the assertion that “the time is ripe for EMS to move to a more suitable federal agency” because the modern responsibilities of EMS have outgrown its home with the DOT, a home that made sense when early EMS still focused on transporting MVC patients, according to the press release.

<Snip>

The report also calls for the creation of a U.S. EMS Administration within the DHS, which would lead national policy and address and communicate on such issues as national training programs, responder safety, research and funding. As has been widely discussed in EMS and first responder circles, EMS currently receives only 4% of the first responder funding disbursed by DHS; the task force points to this fact as an indication that EMS lacks a sound federal advocate.

Press Release: Clicky

Whole Article:
Clicky

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Eh. I never really understood why EMS falls under DOT. Never made much sense to me. I see no problem with this.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Because the National Highway Safety Admin. created EMS in 1966. That's why it is covered by the DOT.

Ambulances went from Hearses w/ no equipment and men w/ no training to "something to work with".

rescuemedic7306

Forum Crew Member
I don't care who runs it, just give us the same access to grant money as the FDs

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
First Bureau of Accident Prevention; PA Dept. of Health step toward making all ambulance personnel certified in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania was the "Ambulance Attendant Act of April 1964".

The first state wide class brought 1,614 certified ambulance attendants to the commonwealth.

The EMT class wasn't required in PA until 1973.

scan.jpg

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Why not have EMS run EMS ? Always wondered why, it has to be a step-child for anybody ?

Moving it from DOT to Homeland Security, will only increase red-tape. Besides, preparing for WMD is important, but most EMS services deal with day to day care. Disaster & preparedness is just one of our avenues, medical care of the sick & injured is the primary role.

Be safe,
Ridryder 911

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by rescuemedic7306@May 7 2005, 03:01 PM
I don't care who runs it, just give us the same access to grant money as the FDs
this is so true..... if your a rescue squad ..not belonging to a FD.. then the grant money ... next to nothing.. if can even get it.....

this is something i just don't understand....