Boys!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
UGH!!! What is wrong with boys?!?! In the last two weeks I have had my 9 yr old son at the ER for a shoulder injury (during "no touch" football - WHATEVER THAT IS!!!!) and now today an ankle injury (during frisbee tag, since football was "banned" by their teacher d/t to many injuries during "no touch" football)!

What ever happened to my sweet little boy who had a firm grasp on what pain was and actually evaluated his "stunts" for the potential pain factor before doing them!!! And he surely never played SPORTS!!!!

And can someone please explain how you are supposed to play "no touch" football??? Are you supposed to just yell at the person with the ball...

"Hey John...Stop...I tackle you!" Stupid Sport!!!

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I will try to do better. Seems lately I have had a pretty good run of DOA's, stabbings, traumas....

Of course there was the lady who was run over by 4 cars...

or my patient at a NH whose son "smuggled in" a bottle of Immodium to her....which she promptly took all 96 capsules in a suicide attempt. She called us herself....9 hrs after taking them.

I thought that poor old lady was a private in the Army during a health and welfare inspection the way those nurses were searching her room for more OTC meds.

She had 2 bottles of Tylenol PM she didn't touch. Asked her why she didn't take those....she's a thoughtful crazy lady....she didn't want mess up her heart so she could maybe be an organ donor. She was only in the NH with a dx of "memory depression." Nothing chronic, took no Rx Meds. Now...she's not going to "go" for a while. Thats gonna hurt.

Since I left the county, I don't have quite the homeless population/drunks to draw from.

Ohhh...Spring break and summer is coming tho....Nothing like a VW Bug full of 6 college kids after a night of drinking to make for an interesting night.

EMTBandit

Forum Lieutenant
My friend once separated his shoulder during a game of ultimate Frisbee. Ahhh memories. Boys will be boys.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Keep that notebook busy, Princess, your life is puking with material!

Webster

Forum Crew Member
Guys and no-touch football NEVER go together :p

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
If I remember correctly, "no touch" football is a derivative of 2 hand touch football: 2 hands touching below the waist gets you "tackled". After a few plays, it becomes full contact. I miss those days. Blood makes the grass grow.:p

However, 9yo boys are learning what their bodies can and cannot do. This is usually when we begin to get our bumps, bruises, broken bones, and concussions just to name a few. We are also under the misconception that girls like scars. This is also the beginning of the phase in our lives where we actually live out the country song, "Chicks Dig It".

Unfortunately this might not stop until well past the age he is able to vote.

I'm sorry, but all I can say is to keep your kit handy and your insurance premiums payed.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Never heard of no-touch football!
We have touch Rugby here in New Zealand.
Once you touch another player (gently) they are deemed as being tackled.
It's played in the summer here, a lot of females play in the teams as well.
There will always be injuries when boys are involved. lol.
We picked a 12 year boy up on Saturday, came off the back of a Quad (4x4) farm bike. We were told that they had just got off their trail motor bikes with all their gear and helmets on. Took off their gear, to ride the quad bike.
Pt ended up with a nice laceration to his head, hip pain and a trip to hospital, truss like a turkey!
Boys never learn!

Enjoynz

Last edited by a moderator:

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Ahhhhh Rugby! Now there's a game it takes leather balls to play.
Touch Rugby? :rolleyes:yeah right.

Boys will be boys.

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Well whoever thought a 9yo and Crutches were a smart combonation should have his MD lic. pulled!

What we now have are 2 items that can be used for "leverage" in an attempt to get airborne! I've heard "Hey Mom....Lets RACE!" and the ever dreaded "Hey Mom...Watch this!"

And he now has a buttload of new bruises, no toenail on his big toe, and a few new bloody spots.

I was offered a transfer to New York today. I think I am going to call them and tell them I'll be happy to do it.....that way I am not here when he kills himself!

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
...the ever dreaded "Hey Mom...Watch this!"

I believe this is the adolescent version of the famous "Hold my beer and watch this".

Don't worry too much about the football. The death rate from football injuries is very low. I broke my clavicle the last day of eight grade and my mother told me I couldn't play football in high school. My dad let me play anyway. She is 70 now and I still hold it against her.:rolleyes:

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Never heard of no-touch football!
We have touch Rugby here in New Zealand.
Once you touch another player (gently) they are deemed as being tackled.
It's played in the summer here, a lot of females play in the teams as well.
Enjoynz

At my school we have a girls rugby team..I have a couple of friends on it too!

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh MedicP I sympathize with you, I really do. My now 14 year old son has had about 18 stitches on three occasions. All on his face or head. Hyperextended his foot, crutches for a week. Fractured his L radius & ulna. All before he was ten. Now he has a dirt bike. I say no more.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I was raised with 4 brothers and so far have raised a stepson, two nephews, and two of my own boys. We called it 'Boy-brain'.

My oldest broke his wrist for the second year in a row (left one first, right one second) He's telling me, "Mom... I told Isaiah no!" I explained it was a timing issue, the time to say "No" was not as the mountain bike, pulling the trailer, holding him went hurtling over the log.... but when his buddy said.. "Get in the trailer and I'll pull it down this trail with the bike"

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
My oldest walked in the back door one day and casually announced "Jon just broke his arm in the yard and he's yelling like crazy that it hurts" (This was son #1 referring to son #3). I went out to have a look and found the poor kid laying curled on the grass, clutching his arm and dropping the F-bomb with each raggedy breath (he was 9(!) at the time). When he saw me looking down at him he burst into tears and said "I know I shouldn't be saying that Dad, it just hurts a whole lot". I had already figured out that it might be broken but it wasn't a bad break, and it was all I could do to keep a concerned straight face while we got him up and into the car for the trip to the ER. 12 years later, he's a fine young Army Private, but still remembers the first time he dropped the big one in front of dear old Dad.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Boys

Hey Outbac saw the post about the motorcycle just wait. The voice of experience here take 1 16 year old add motorcylce,a large mound of dirt mix in an audience. Guess where you get to wind up at.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh I know. I keep reminding him about his broken arm,(stood on a skate board and fell off). He has survived his 1st year on it with no more than bumps and bruises. It's parked now for the winter, but spring is coming.