book change in the middle of the course.

joepagiii

Forum Probie
Reaction score
well my instructor is wanting to switch from the pec 9th ed to the aoss 9th ed...whats your take on this..insofar no one has purchased the new book...ive made inquiries about it elsewhere and the general consensus is no...

What is the acronym definition for AOSS?

well my instructor is wanting to switch from the pec 9th ed to the aoss 9th ed...whats your take on this..insofar no one has purchased the new book...ive made inquiries about it elsewhere and the general consensus is no...

My response to being asked this question would be that they had better have a very good reason for wanting to switch. They must be able to justify the inconvenience and additional cost of a new book.

I know this is a pretty general answer, but you haven't provided any information about why they want to switch books.

well it seems that there ar alot of complaints over the way the book is laid out...i myself spent 2 days cramming all the assessment flowcharts and still got them mixed up...the aaos book has 1 big one...and seemed to me at the time to be easier ive got the core concept assessments down...the book had me questioning myself way too much...im on the fence...

AAOS is a good book. Well organized and up to date. I am not familiar with the PEC 9th edition but in reviewing the link you sent I can see why they want to change. That being said, it is not a wise move on the instructor's part to make an "in-flight" change unless there is a very good reason. One of which could be inaccurate or out-of-date information. Talk with the instructor as to why they see the need to change and base your decision on that. Just my $0.02 worth

well it seems that there ar alot of complaints over the way the book is laid out...i myself spent 2 days cramming all the assessment flowcharts and still got them mixed up...the aaos book has 1 big one...and seemed to me at the time to be easier ive got the core concept assessments down...the book had me questioning myself way too much...im on the fence...

Well if the whole class doesn't like the current book, and the AAOS is better, then maybe you should change.

Assessments is one of the harder sections to learn and keep track of. You may find that writing it out yourself in a different form helps you remember all the steps.

The AAOS is a good book. It may be expensive, but it's worth it.

I always found the Brady books to be more... understandable?

Update

well...this is royally messed up...the school that i attend has decided to let the fire/ems director go...so the instructors in a fit of rage have decided not to re-sign there contracts...so now im feeling a little cut adrift...:unsure:
i can go into further details...by why bother...im frustrated...course this is the same county that insists on staying basic...and asserts that thats good enough...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back