Blood Pressure - Even Numbers or Any Number?

danguitar12345

Forum Probie
The EMT Student Who Asked

Thanks Jon, I Joined to see this and got my answer. Thanks Again

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
I believe it's already been said, but I've been taught that the use of even numbers when obtaining a BP manually is all about significant figures/digits. Since with a manual sphygomomanometer, we can't guarantee accuracy beyond the nearest even number, it's left at that, and has since become chart etiquette. However (from what I've seen anyways), automatic sphygomomanometers are assumed to be capable of reading to the nearest whole number accurately, so both odd and even numbers are acceptable to use. (As always, if I am incorrect in any of this, please let me know)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
As I have been taught, first BP is always manual just to eliminate the possibility of the auto being wrong and not knowing.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
As I have been taught, first BP is always manual just to eliminate the possibility of the auto being wrong and not knowing.

I would submit that is one way of doing it, but the automatic BP devices have come a long way from the earlier unreliable models. Unless I get an outrageously high reading, an extremely low reading, an outlier to the trend, or unless the machine says error I go with it.

Still do manual for Ankle/Brachial indexes of course.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Next question is:

When was the last time you calibrated your manual cuff?

When the BP needle is resting within the circle at the bottom of the manometer while deflated, it's calibrated.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I dunno about you.. but a difference of 1 mmHg isn't going to make that big of a difference pre hospital. So, if something falls on 131, writing 130 or 132 isn't going to make a difference.. besides, can you honestly catch it in between the two even numbers?

Yea you can catch it. If you are willing to let the pressure out of the cuff over a period of 7 1/2 minutes. :p

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Unless I get an outrageously high reading, an extremely low reading, an outlier to the trend, or unless the machine says error I go with it.

True story; My first ride out on an ambulance had a few BLS calls where I had to do BP so they would trust me, then we get a priority 3 sick person.

We head out there, guy semi-conscious on his bed, and the medic tells me to take a BP. I end up getting a 290/130... needless to say, I was a bit hesitant at stating what I thought I got... but they believed me and it matched perfectly with the auto back in the truck.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
True story; My first ride out on an ambulance had a few BLS calls where I had to do BP so they would trust me, then we get a priority 3 sick person.

We head out there, guy semi-conscious on his bed, and the medic tells me to take a BP. I end up getting a 290/130... needless to say, I was a bit hesitant at stating what I thought I got... but they believed me and it matched perfectly with the auto back in the truck.

so did you take it more than once and got the same number or just go with the original?

If I took a BP twice and got similar numbers I would call it accurate and be done.

frogtat2

Forum Crew Member
bp odd or evn?

I have read through this article thread and here is what I think, for what its worth.

We have machines that take blood pressures that come up with odd numbers consistently. Our manual cuff are marked in even numbers.

I personally don't see a difference between a systolic pressure of 130 vs 131. What I think is important is the trend. Is it getting better or worse? In pre-hospital care, that difference of 1 isn't going to change my decision on patient care, while a difference in 10 could/would.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I have read through this article thread and here is what I think, for what its worth.

We have machines that take blood pressures that come up with odd numbers consistently. Our manual cuff are marked in even numbers.

I personally don't see a difference between a systolic pressure of 130 vs 131. What I think is important is the trend. Is it getting better or worse? In pre-hospital care, that difference of 1 isn't going to change my decision on patient care, while a difference in 10 could/would.

May I just inquire what SPB tell you about a patient?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
"Needle jump" is not a measurement, it's a reassurement your scope's working.

In case someone didn't see my rants about VS monitors, I was told by a Welch Allyn tech that a 5 mmHg variance in diastolic between serial measurements on the same pt was acceptable. How does THAt work? ("It is intended as a screening tool, Nurse Mycrofft") he said).
All our monitors (we have three iterations, OK, Bad, and Expensive Bad) read out in odd numbers. The manual cuffs read out in even numbers.

Explorer127

Forum Crew Member
I have always been taught to round up--I actually believe the EMT textbooks says that, not that it would actually make a difference..

Anu

Forum Crew Member
Taking vitals

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone is aware of any methods or techniques that can be used to get a clear, audible, pulse when taking a patient's blood pressure.

I am preparing for my exam next month, and was looking into doing some ride-along time with my local ambulance company. I'd like to be able to get out there and get this right..

Bodies come in all different shapes, sizes, and conditions, and while it might be easy to find a pulse right away on certain people, it has proven to be a challenge on others. Like on very old, withering women, with barely any meat on their bones, who can barely support having the cuff wrapped around their arm. :unsure:

Any ideas?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone is aware of any methods or techniques that can be used to get a clear, audible, pulse when taking a patient's blood pressure.

I am preparing for my exam next month, and was looking into doing some ride-along time with my local ambulance company. I'd like to be able to get out there and get this right..

Bodies come in all different shapes, sizes, and conditions, and while it might be easy to find a pulse right away on certain people, it has proven to be a challenge on others. Like on very old, withering women, with barely any meat on their bones, who can barely support having the cuff wrapped around their arm. :unsure:

Any ideas?

Practice practice practice. If you are hard of hearing an electronic steth may help. But most is just learning anatomy and you will find the brachial and be able to hear. Sometimes placing the edge of the steths bell under the cuff helps some to hear better.