Bipolar Disoder questions.

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
Ive looked on the net for info on this, and nowhere does it say that bipolar disorder is genetic. any ideas? im almost certain that it has to be. what do yall think, yes or no?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
My wife in as ER Resident.. So I asked her. She said..

I highly doubt you have that Al, it's just the Flu, take some tylenol.

No... Not me.. So she gave me a book, a big book... here is what I got from her encyclopedia of modern diseases.

Bipolar disorder is almost always passed on to a child from the mother. There is an 80% chance that if genetic trait exists in the mother, it will occur in the child also. This is the only known disease, that has such a high rate of inheritability. Not even HIV/AIDS has that high of an inheritability rate. And it may not be known, they can detect the gene via extensive testing, but it most commonly does not come out of dormancy until the child is in their teens, around puberty, or even as late at their mid 20's.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
I KNEW IT. awesome Alex. i appreciate it, which book did you get that info from, i gotta go buy it. I dont have bipolar disorder, it's a long story as to why i ask, but you gave me the exact information i was looking for. its greatly appreciated. more than you know.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
The Columbia Encyclopedia of Modern Medicine

There are 125 volumes in Jenn's encyclopedia library, for the Columbia Medical Education texts. I would not recommend buying them, unless you need it for Medical School, as a career. Like everything else in her line of work, they were expensive. I believe they were $2,500.00; and they sent their own employees to deliver, unwrap, and shelve them for us. That said "It's the least we can do".. Hell, I agree, it's the LEAST they can do... For that much, they should be written in gold.

The cost of her books alone, was equal to three cadillac ambulances. We know this, as we sold nine in the past year, and after the third was sold, the bills for the books stopped comming.

Last edited by a moderator: