Best states(preferably near SoCal) to work in as a EMT-B

broman3

Forum Ride Along
Hello. Forgive me if similar questions have been asked, but I did search and wasn't able to get a clear direction.

I'm a recent EMT-B graduate and just started working in San Diego. I was told by numerous instructors at my EMT school to get out of San Diego if I can. They said it's super congested and that as an EMT I won't get to do much here(a coworker here said he's never once controlled bleeding or splinted an extremity in his two years here). So now I'm considering saving up some money and moving, preferably somewhere within a reasonable driving distance.

Something I'd like to make clear is that I'm NOT asking which areas/states pay best, lowest cost of living, ect, but which areas that would allow me to participate in the highest volume of 911 calls. All I'm interested in is actually doing what I was trained for.

I heard Texas is good for this, but does it vary from company to company, even within a state? Any advice on what to ask the company if I'm calling around doing research with this in mind? Something as simple as do you have 911 contracts or should I be asking something different?

Thanks in advance.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
NM and TX are both good. CO is alright as well