Best area to get started?

mdeggies

Forum Ride Along
Hi all- I'm taking a first aid/cpr/aed course right now at the local university and am starting my EMT training in the fall. I've been wondering though, when I get certified as an EMT-B, what is the best type of area to start working in to get the most experience and become a kickass EMT?

Maybe a better question is, if you could choose any area to start working in as an EMT-B, where would you choose to start? Big cities or more rural areas? Private agencies? Places with separate or joined fire & EMT? Places that take mostly take 911 calls? Anywhere you get accepted?

Mjolnir

Forum Probie
Hi all- I'm taking a first aid/cpr/aed course right now at the local university and am starting my EMT training in the fall. I've been wondering though, when I get certified as an EMT-B, what is the best type of area to start working in to get the most experience and become a kickass EMT?

Maybe a better question is, if you could choose any area to start working in as an EMT-B, where would you choose to start? Big cities or more rural areas? Private agencies? Places with separate or joined fire & EMT? Places that take mostly take 911 calls? Anywhere you get accepted?

When I started, I didn't have a choice...so I went to a private. I would choose, given the option, big city, with a 911 FD/EMS blend. I'm assuming they'd get "better" (read: more interesting) calls. Right now, I'm a Medicare-sponsored taxi for old people.

EMTodd

Forum Probie
To start, I went with the first place I got accepted. Rural area with Firefighters + EMTs mixed. It was a good experience and I'd choose it again if given the opportunity.