Being a EMT after spinal fusion

okiemedic

BLS Healthcare Provider Instructor
My spine is fused from the bottom of my lumbar to the top of my Thoracic region with 3 rods, 60 screws and fragments from 6 of my ribs........

I am 100% immobile in that region ....and I can do my job just fine........

FYI : I had Spinal Fusion from Scoliosis...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

MikeW

Forum Ride Along
Re:

Thanks for the advice! I definitely want it. And the accident just gives me motivation to do it and help people were in the same position I was in. We flipped twice and hit a tree doing 65. I had to be cut out of the car. So I know what's it like to be on both sides. My biggest concern would be injury to my back later on since my hardware can never come out. I don't want to do long term damage. I know I will have to keep my back strengthen but shouldn't be a problem since before the accident I worked out almost daily. But at this point I feel I'll be able to. I don't think its a question of if I can do it but rather how long.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Thanks for the advice! I definitely want it. And the accident just gives me motivation to do it and help people were in the same position I was in. We flipped twice and hit a tree doing 65. I had to be cut out of the car. So I know what's it like to be on both sides. My biggest concern would be injury to my back later on since my hardware can never come out. I don't want to do long term damage. I know I will have to keep my back strengthen but shouldn't be a problem since before the accident I worked out almost daily. But at this point I feel I'll be able to. I don't think its a question of if I can do it but rather how long.

The big question and it's a question only you when the time comes will be able to answer is how long do I do this for. Sooner or later your back issues may become a problem and if that happens it might be time to move over to career plan two.

Gunn

Forum Ride Along
Its really all up to you on how you go about lifting and treating your back well. I am 7 years out from a lower lumbar fusion, MRSA, and a 9 month recovery (prior to PT). Docs said I would never be able to squat or deadlift again. Story short, after a lot of strength training, proper technique, and basic willingness to lift properly every single time I lift, I have been able to carry my weight (both in the gym and in the field) and have no problem asking for help if we have a large person on the cot. Don't let an injury hold you back from this career, if it truly what you want and love to do. Just remember that your injury is there and work with it and take care of yourself.

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
i have had a complete posterior spinal fusion 5 years ago: indication, scoliosis.

now that i have your attention, no, whatever people tell you about how you "can't do it" is completely wrong. I have no difficulty whatsoever. I have been employed as a firefighter/paramedic for 2 years now without any problems. There should be no difficulty for you. Just stay in shape and stay focused.