1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming a paramedic

Discussion in 'EMS Talk' started by Bitty, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Qulevrius

Qulevrius Nationally Certified Wannabe

We recently spoke about medic programmes and came to a conclusion that a programme is as good as a student makes it to be. But I still can't fathom why anyone would try and attend an expensive school with a subpar reputation, other than not being willing to commute to a better one. There's only a handful of accredited medic programmes in SoCal, and 2 of them are not known for their high NREMT passing rates (AVU and Ventura College), there's also the infamous NCTI but the rest seem rather solid (Bakersfield, UCLA, Mount Sac, Riverside, Mission Viejo etc and even San Louis Obispo if one is willing to travel).

2. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Crackpot Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Does anyone recall a super shifty program in Orange County (Lake Forest IIRC) called CPI?

3. jgmedic

jgmedic Forum Captain

Education:
    Paramedic
    Oh god, one of their last interns ever was on the engine I ran with as an EMT in 06. Awful place from what I remember, I lived right around the corner from them so I considered it before they shut down. IIRC, they were ridiculously expensive, I think ran by a couple of high ups at Doctor's Ambulance before the buyout.

VentMonkey likes this.
  4. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Crackpot Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Sounds about right. It was bad-mouthed even by its students. Kind of sad, really. They all had to find their own internships. I had worked with one of their final students once as well, and he echoed much of the same.