Basic EMT working in a ALS systems learning experience

Tk11

Forum Captain
I'm a basic EMT working at a company for almost a year that primarily only does non emergency transports. All our ambulances are staffed medic medic and basic basic. I plan to go to paramedic school within a year and wanted to know the benefit of working as a basic in an ALS system with a paramedic partner. I have an interview next week with a company that told me all their ambulances are ALS and none are staffed with two basics. Would I learn more working with a medic being able to see everything they do and how they're doing it and asking my paramedic partner questions about what they do? Would this benefit me going into paramedic school and throughout paramedic school or would it not make much of a difference?

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
If you're planning on becoming a Paramedic, why would it not be beneficial to have a Paramedic partner?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Would I learn more working with a medic being able to see everything they do and how they're doing it and asking my paramedic partner questions about what they do?
Most likely, yes, assuming your paramedic is willing to show you, and you are truly willing to learn, and ask insightful questions at appropriate times.
Would this benefit me going into paramedic school and throughout paramedic school or would it not make much of a difference?
I had never worked a 1:1 P/B car prior to paramedic school, so this I imagine, is subjective. What would benefit you most prior to, and during paramedic school is brushing up on all the textbook courses/ knowledge required going in (medical terminology, A&P, you know? the "uzzzzh"). The most important part of pre-paramedic school is having a good grasp of the fundamentals needed to be a paramedic, everything else varies from person to person, so don't sweat it all that much; it really isn't a big deal. Good luck.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Would I learn more working with a medic being able to see everything they do and how they're doing it and asking my paramedic partner questions about what they do? Would this benefit me going into paramedic school and throughout paramedic school or would it not make much of a difference?

1) Theoretically, yes. In reality, depends on your partner. Medics are just like the rest of the crowd, there are dedicated and knowledgeable ones and there are the sloppy ****lords.

2) Nothing will benefit you unless you put some arse muscle to it & learn extracurricular stuff (i.e. things that weren't covered in a 'We'll Teach U How To Save Lyfes' crash course). Plus, as I've said numerous times, the question you should be asking is why you want to become a medic. No really, there isn't a cookie-cutter answer and your true motif is what counts the most.

dbest9

Forum Probie
I worked for 2 years as an EMT-B for a bls service that moved to als near the end and then a medic for a service that staffs medic/emt on the trucks. My emt partners not only learn more but they get to do way more than the typical emt working for bls only, partially because I keep them involved on als calls. Have had a few that only consider themselves to be drivers only and that hasn't worked so hot. Many of them are in medic school and get to see real life calls related to the units they are studying and then get to ask real time questions to the medic. I did the same when I was in school and learned more than I would have otherwise in my opinion due to the good mix of classroom and real world education.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk