Basic EKGreading course...online

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
I saw this on my school's website and I'd like to know if it would be worth my time to go ahead and take this online EKG course at the same time that I'm going through the EMT-IV program.

Click me - I'm a link

I've never taken an online course before, so I'm a little apprehensive about it. If it's worthwhile, I don't mind coughing up the $120 to take it. Would it be wise to try and take something like this online? I really don't even know if the description accurately portrays medic and EMT EKG training.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Pick up a Dale Dubin book for $35.00 and it will be a good reference throughout Paramedic school and your career. It is also written in a programmed learning format.

http://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Interpr...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220025726&sr=8-1

You can also find many free EKG websites on the internet.

Dubin also has a website that is helpful.

Disclaimer: I still do not want to support Dubin, especially financially, but he did write a good book.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
The online course is probably not bad but when its over its over. I think there are lots of good books on the market that once purchased you will have for a long time. In addition to Dubin, Aehlert's "ECG's Made Easy" and Phalen & Aehlert's "12 Lead ECG in Acute Coronary Syndromes" I feel are both good books. They also come in a pocket edition. These and a good cardiac A & P book with lots of study will serve you well for a long time. I'm sure as you take your course and work around hospitals you will meet many good medics and Drs. who will be more than willing to give you a hand and help you learn.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i have trouble with reccomending dubins book. im torn between it being one of the best ekg books ever written and the fact that it was written by a sexual deviant of his caliber.

sigh....but it is a great book for learing III lead interpretation

OP
OP
A

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the input! I read the excerpts from Dubin's book on Amazon and it seems like it will be great for teaching me how the EKG works. I'll look at the other books listed as well. I'm a fan of buying used, so I'll be picking up what I can of these off eBay, Amazon, etc.