back blows vs. heimlich

maverick11

Forum Ride Along
What factors would help me decide if I should do back-blows or the Heimlich maneuver on a child/infant/baby?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
If they're too big to easily do the infant backblows/chest compressions, it's probably time to do modified abdominal thrust...

platypus

Forum Probie
does anyone else have some incite on this? like on age?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
does anyone else have some incite on this? like on age?

Infant is generally considered to be <1yr, but you can't throw a hard and fast rule down. It's really going to depend on the size of the rescuer and the size of the patient. It's a judgement call. Which EMS seems to hate, but it's the reality of medicine.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Your training?

Re-open your text.
(You aren't, like, holding the baby on your knee right now and asking us, are you?) :eek:

mycrofft

That's what the EMTLIFE Facebook page is for.

;).............

Stingray91

Forum Crew Member
newborn 0-30 days, infant 30 days to 1 yr old, child 1-8, adult 8+. At least that is what AHA believes.

mycrofft

I check the kid's conception date date tag.

B).........
Follow the protocols unless something doesn't make sense.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
For healthcare providers, did the AHA not switch to the onset of puberty being when a child becomes an adult?

Yes they did.

To the OP, there are 20 lb 4 month olds, and 20 lb 2 year olds. The average motivated rescuer can turn up to a 30 lb kid over their arm for back blows. It varies. As much as we want to know exactly what is going to happen in a given situation, you just have to be able to evaluate your circumstances and make your decision in the moment.

mycrofft

Agreed.

Any instructor worth their salt says to see if the patient is big enough for the measure you are about to perform. Also, pregnant, abd wounds, etc.
PS: Due to controvery over whether some of Heimlich's data were bogus but the maneuver judged worthy, his name was removed from it in AHA materials.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Heimlich

Last edited by a moderator: