Bachelor's Degree entry to practice in Canada 2025

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
The topic of increased education in EMS comes up so frequently on this forum that I thought I'd share a very interesting development from the Paramedicine Across Canada Expo conference I just attended.

The Paramedic Association of Canada who writes the National Occupational Competency Profiles, which in turn are the standard for accreditation for Paramedic programs, announced that by 2025 the intention is that a baccalaureate degree will be the requirement to enter practice. EMR will continue but will be a skill profile separate from Paramedic education.

Certainly there is a lot of work at the regulatory level in some provinces before this becomes reality, but this is the direction the profession is headed in Canada. It is possible.

cprted

Forum Captain
BC has a lot of curriculum to rewrite lol ...

Positive move towards becoming a profession!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I wish the US would make strides to take the profession forward that the commonwealth countries have

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Personally I'd love to see AEMT as an Associates and Paramedic as a BS, the difference between that and how it is now being not necessarily the program education, but the college/university's core education (various courses in English, social sciences, biology, etc.).

I wish the US would make strides to take the profession forward that the commonwealth countries have

How come the profession in the US isn't advancing its education requirements?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Is this for the PCP level, or the ACP level?

If it's for the PCP, are there any changes being made to the ACP; ie length of the course, or level of degree at the end?

OP
OP
W

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Is this for the PCP level, or the ACP level?

If it's for the PCP, are there any changes being made to the ACP; ie length of the course, or level of degree at the end?

Details have not been released, probably because they have been determined yet. But my understanding from a few people I know who work in research and education and are consulting on this process is that we may see an end to PCP/ACP as we know it. Likely one level an advanced level to reflect CCP. Though this is no better than speculation at this point, even by those in the know. Committees and stakeholders being what they are. If I find a copy of the presentation I'll upload it.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Fantastic news. I hope the U.S. and some of the EU will follow that lead

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Medicine Hat College in Medicine Hat Alberta does offer a Bachelor of Health Sciences Paramedic degree for EMTP/ACP. I remember that the University of Toronto Scarborough used to offer a BSc degree for PCP, although I am not sure if they are still offering it.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
we offer over 30 programs that I know of in the U.S. but in no way, shape, or form is it a goal to make it a requirement that I am aware of. Even an associate's degree is heavily debated

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Medicine Hat College in Medicine Hat Alberta does offer a Bachelor of Health Sciences Paramedic degree for EMTP/ACP. I remember that the University of Toronto Scarborough used to offer a BSc degree for PCP, although I am not sure if they are still offering it.
Certainly programs exist but they are Paramedic Diplomas/BHSc. They can enter practice by the end of the third year once the Diploma requirements are complete. This new plan is more akin to the BscN program where the degree would be the requirement to enter practice and the certification.