Babies!

Wee-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
How many babies have you guys delivered and how did it go?

I knew a medic that delivered a baby and wasn't wearing a mask. He got a mouth full of placenta/blood/amniotic fluid.:lol:

Epi-do

I see dead people
I have been in EMS for about 10 years now, and delivered my first baby last summer. It was a normal, uncomplicated delivery and mom and baby girl were both fine.

Hockey

Quackers
Working the city seems to be one of the common things....

I guess I have to get over my "first" one

Being a newish EMT, I would prefer to NOT have to deal with that. At least for now ;)

Load and go boys!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
My husband has delivered two in the field in the almost 20 years he's been doing this. They named the second one after him. I've had one close one, mother in pre-term labor. We didn't stop in the ER, took her right up to OB on our gurney. They ended up able to stop the contractions and mom was able to deliver a full term baby about a month later.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i dont deliver babies. its against the number one rule, which is that the census isnt allowed to change on my truck. you can be born or die before i get there or after i transfer you over at the H, but life neither begins nor ends in my presence.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
If I didn't put it in there, I ain't taking it out.

Later!

--Coop

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
None, I had to do an emergent transfer for a lady that the doc swore wasn't gonna make it to the other hospital though. That was fun.

EMT-P633

Forum Crew Member
One so far, normal as could be. It was moms 4th or 5th delivery. so it came and went pretty quick.

Epi-do

I see dead people
None, I had to do an emergent transfer for a lady that the doc swore wasn't gonna make it to the other hospital though. That was fun.

Why emergent? Where there other issues going on with her besides the impending delivery? Just curious is all. Unless there was something else going on, we would be in so much trouble around here for running in hot with a patient in labor.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
3 one boy and two girls. Slight scare with the last one cord presented first.

Was the cord right near the head or what? Did you have to place your hand in the vagina to make sure the head wasn't going to put pressure on the cord? If the cord comes out but you don't see anything else, isn't that considered a breech presentation and can't be delivered in the field?

Explorer127

Forum Crew Member
I can't wait till I get an OB call..

I think it'd be awesome to deliver a baby..

People tell me I'm crazy for that :)

I guarantee if anyone I knew read this, they would be able to identify me instantly, lol

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Why emergent? Where there other issues going on with her besides the impending delivery? Just curious is all. Unless there was something else going on, we would be in so much trouble around here for running in hot with a patient in labor.

Because, she had negative prenatal care, didn't know how far along she was, was denying she was even pregnat, was her third, and the doc didn't want to deliver on the side of the road.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Because, she had negative prenatal care, didn't know how far along she was, was denying she was even pregnat, was her third, and the doc didn't want to deliver on the side of the road.

haha, I've had obvious drunks tell me they had two drinks, and I've had obviously pregnant people tell me they weren't but never one in labor. That's just great, thanks for making my day.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
I can't wait till I get an OB call..

I think it'd be awesome to deliver a baby..

People tell me I'm crazy for that :)

I guarantee if anyone I knew read this, they would be able to identify me instantly, lol

How about a 19yo with no prenatal care, 26 weeks, delivers a 1100gm premie in the toilet at the local diner. Kid is agonal, bradycardic and covered in meconium. Sounds like fun, huh? The vast majority of births are uneventful, mom's have been delivering kids without the help of EMS since the dawn of time, however where we make or break the difference are on calls like those....I don't look forward to those.

I totally understand your enthusiasm, and assisting mom with delivering a child is a rewarding experience in my opinion, just be very aware of the bad things that can and sometimes do happen. Good luck!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
3 outside of the hospital (2 boys and a girl) 2 were crack babies. My first, the lady left the hospital without the baby as soon as she was "checked out", didn't even give it a name.

Inside the hospital, more than I care to remember. But the most exciting was simultaneous crash c-sections on 2 women killed in an automobile accident.

reaper

Working Bum
I am up to around 18 in 19 years. That includes a set of twins. I have had Breech, prolapsed cord, cord around the neck that had to be cut off. The rest were uneventful!
I don't mind them, if at the house. Don't like them in the back of the truck.

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
While I was preg most of the members on my squad were hoping I would wait to long and they would get to deliver my kids. UUUUHHHMMM NO!!! I have not delivered a babe nor do I think I would want to. Messy business and too many things could go wrong

Sasha

Forum Chief
Bahaha. The closest I've come is being toned out to an "eminent delivery" during a P-2 clinical, (The engine crew was shouting "Tell her to cross her legs!" as we left.) and we got there and it was to a woman with no contractions but very pregnant. She met us at the door "I'm having this baby TODAY I don't care what no one says, I'm having this baby TODAY, ya hear? Get me to the hospital" Then went on and on and on about how she was gonna have a natural birth and it was going to be today, asked her meds "Valtrex" and my instructors explained to me that she wouldn't be having a vaginal birth due to the herpes :[

I don't get why everyone WANTS to deliver a baby. It seems very messy and I'm terrified that if I ever DO deliver a baby that I'm gonna drop it. They don't call me butterfingers for nothing! :[