B4 Medic School

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
^_^Hello All

So.. I start Medic school on Jan. 6..

Nervous.. normal right? Be nice..

So here's my question..
Any medic students or current medics have any tips for medic school?
What are some things to make sure TO DO?
Not to do?
Any pearls of wisdom?
Any info would be helpful at this point as I prepare myself.

Thanks

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Kev, Kev paging Kev stick figure time.

On a serious note it's probably too late to get into an A&P class before you start but make sure you put in the extra effort and go the extra mile when discussing A&P in class. Everything in this field can be explained if you have a strong understanding of A&P which will make the rest of the class much easier.

Every time you learn a new procedure or learn about a new disease process ask as many questions as you can about it even if it seems like a trivial process knowing the why's of everything will make everything else fall into place. Don't be afraid of looking dumb for asking too many questions, you're paying good money for school and deserve to come out with as much education as you desire. No good medic will ever think you're dumb if you are trying to figure out the why's because knowing why's allows you to move outside of cookbook medicine.

OP
OP
MedicMeJJB

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
The program in through St. Vincent's Hospital.

I've taken college level ANP 1 and 2, plus Medical Terminology, plus I've been CNA, HHA for 6 years, and an EMT for 2 years. I consider myself to have a good grasp in ANP, and I enjoy it to boot.

divinewind_007

Forum Lieutenant
Well...i have just finished my first semester as were out now for christmas break. with 200 hours of clinicals done and 400 more my only suggestion is dont get overwhelmed. I saved my vacation days all year just so I could use them to take a break every once in a while. So far it has not been that bad for me. Some of my colleagues are struggling but they do not read their book. They expect to get everything from the lecture. Read your chapter before class....that helps me more than anything. And if you are married with kids start sucking up to them now....because they aint going to be seeing you as much once this starts. Good luck!

OP
OP
MedicMeJJB

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
Not married, no kids.. dog is as bad as a kid though...
I think all will go well, it has a rep of being an amazing medic program... Thank you for your input... so appreciated!^_^