Austin community college paramedic program

Tyler21

Forum Probie
Can someone tell me how this program was at Austin cc in Texas. Also how long was it?(certificate program only)

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Whether you do it for the cert or the degree, it is still done by courses college-style. I believe they only do AEMT & Paramedic together, so you can't go in as an AEMT and expect to take fewer classes. That said, it is 4 semesters. The website is actually pretty informative, and the paramedic program director is good at getting back to e-mails.

I've heard mixed things about it. Personally I plan to attend the program in about 2 years (after undergrad) while working. I've heard they are strict to their books, leading to smart medics, but medics with little practical experience. That, of course, is corrected by any system worth its weight. I work with an instructor there in an ED, and he's happy with his job. I'm also on a SAR team with someone going to school there and they enjoy it though say its intense.

Arguably the best program in the area, that's for sure.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
5 semesters. It'll be a year and a half or two years depending on when you start, since they don't do clinicals during the summer, and that will delay you.

It's a phenomenal program, regarded as one of the best, with a great group of instructors. It's not a walk in the park, though. You're held to the same high standards that you'll be held to as an employed paramedic. Shoot me a message if you have any specific questions.

OP
OP
T

Tyler21

Forum Probie
So would it be better to just do the degree program since apparently it will take you 2 years regardless?

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
The only schedule you have control over is your clinical schedule, but even that is choosing from dates.

The degree is something like 12-15 more credit hours. It takes the same amount of time, just more coursework to do. If you work more than a prn job, then it's probably easier to shoot for cert.

They use to do special ops class online with once a week class date, but that's about it.

OP
OP
T

Tyler21

Forum Probie
Do you know what the schedule is? Sorry for all the questions but I am moving to the area soon and know nothing about it lol

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you know what the schedule is? Sorry for all the questions but I am moving to the area soon and know nothing about it lol

If you go to the program's site (google austin cc paramedic) you will find the course content. Then go to the ACC main site and go to the course catalog, select EMS, and select a semester, then find the courses.

Is there any way to condense the hours to make it 4 semesters? As in, bump classes down and up the hours? I am used to taking 17, so I am not opposed to adding on. I feel like I was told 4 at some point, especially if you already have some of the courses done (like A&P).

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief

It switches between Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday depending on the semester. Fill in your off days with clinicals.

Grimes, I don't think that's possible. Semester 5 can't be moved. It's where you do the last of your clinicals (240hrs) and all of your NREMT prep. Plus, most of the the courses have to be taken in conjunction with certain classes.

OP
OP
T

Tyler21

Forum Probie
Do you get AEMT certified in the middle of the program or something or is it just straight paramedic?

OP
OP
T

Tyler21

Forum Probie
So after I complete required courses for AEMT I can just take the state test and get certified?