Attending with Lights on (at night)

lawndartcatcher

Forum Lieutenant
And of course no patient would ever accuse you of getting up to any hanky-panky with the lights off back there? Doesn't matter if they can't prove it; damage is done once they scream "j'accuse!".

In that situation, would you really want to have to answer the question, "Why were the lights turned off in the back of your rig if you were both in there?"

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
All of the ambulances I worked in had tinted windows, so there was never a privacy issue concern. Family and bystanders could not see in when on scene, drivers behind you could not see in, it was a very nice feature.

During transport, lights always stay on. They can rest when they get to wherever we are going. There are two options, one bright and one dim, but whichever is chosen, they stay on.

By keeping lights on at all times it reduces many potential negative situations, some already listed.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
I transported all of my IFT 5150's to the psych facility with the lights off when I worked nights. This allowed them to stay asleep the whole time making it safer for me and them.

Asleep,restrained or not never ever underestimate what a psych patient is capable of. You could find they are very clever in ways to slip out of restraints. also one of the fastest to yell they have been abused in one way or the other. Better to leave lights on than to have to explain. Just to add in most cases if a patient is deemed as a risk for self injury inside a facility they are required to have lights on wherever they are 24-7.

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks everyone for you're responses. :D

I know that on our rigs, there isn't really a "dimmed light" except for low vs high. On one of them, we have a "less bright" interior light that I use so it's not directly in the patients eyes which is more convienient for the patient and It allows me to assess the patient. I also have my trusty mini mag which is bright as all getout if worse comes to worse.