Atlanta EMT/Paramedic Jobs

phillystudent

Forum Ride Along
I'm a newbie to the board:) and am looking for some advice. When I finish medic school in January 2009 I'm looking to relocate to Georgia (Atlanta) from Philadelphia. My question is will I be able to find a job as a Paramedic with only 2 years experience as a EMT-B? Meaning I have no prior experience as a paramedic. I've been doing some research and found the following companies AMR, Rural/Metro, Grady, and Puckett EMS. Also there is Dekalb and Gwinnett Fire Departments. Any information about these agencies is welcomed.

bad wolf

Forum Ride Along
There are a lot of opportunities in Atlanta for medics. It seems like everyone is hiring. Gwinnett, DeKalb, and Rural Metro work a 24 on 48 off schedule. Grady handles all 911 for the city of Atlanta and runs a variety of schedules (8hr, 10hr,or 12hr) with shift differentials for working nights or weekends. Rural Metro handles all of Fulton County excluding Atlanta. Your going to stay busy working for either. Gwinnett is actively trying to hire medics and encouraging their EMT to upgrade. By 2009 to be promoted in Gwinnett you must be a paramedic. Gwinnett is a well run and well funded dept. DeKalb runs ALS units and has a contract with a private ambulance service for BLS calls. DeKalb merged EMS back into the fire dept a few years.

As far as experience goes, I know several medics hired right out of school to work for these depts. I know Gwinnett and Grady will have you spend time with a paramedic preceptor before turning you lose by yourself.

Here's a link to the state office with everything you'll need to transfer your license down to Georgia.

http://www.health.state.ga.us/programs/ems/Procedures/PRO%20C-08%20Licensing%20of%20EMS%20Personnel/PRO-C-08%20Licensing%20of%20EMS%20Personnel%2001-10-07.pdf